Proper placement of mouthpiece on lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eviln3d, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now you know why I didn't and don't get involved in the band system. A limited experience of teaching in a school system of other subjects was enough for me to bail out.

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    You stated:
    "If he had cut me off in a parking lot we wouldn't have a problem with him, the school would be looking for another director."
    ------------------
    I think I've heard enough. There appears to be something here that's deeper than mouthpiece placement.
    Good luck with your issues. I don't think the help here will be of any use. Initally I was 4 square against the band director, thinking that the Dad was the private teacher. I no longer have that opinion.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, he is "eviln3d"! My teacher was a band director and a still highly respected pro that gigs at 74! He got fed up with parents who know nothing about music, let alone a particular instrument, dragging him in front of the principal. One lady feigned mental abuse of her lovely, precious, beautiful, kind, loving, messiah-like 13 yr old. The crime? Telling them they needed to practice that measure because you're playing it wrong!!! :stars::stars::stars::stars:

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Thank you Toby

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    A voice in the wilderness.

I had a certain uneasiness, as well. You're, perhaps just a bit more tactful than I. But for me, really - basta. I've just tried to shine a different light on some of these band/teachers' problems that some might not have been aware of and certainly not experienced. Schlaf schön, alle.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If I may weigh back in here. My "idiot director" comment was in reaction to what I have heard on here regarding underqualified directors in effect giving lessons based on on dogma and book learning of how to play rather than experience. I would agree that 50/50 is a good starting point. (I use it as a starting point myself then allow students to find their own sweet spot. "Close to half and half perhaps a little low" is how I tend to describe what I want from young student because I have found if I tell them to go more towards one lip than the other it tends to get over done and we end up almost playing on one lip) It seemed to me that the OP was saying that the director wanted this setting and nothing else would do, this would not be a great teaching mehtod by any standard.

As for the comment the OP made about being cut up in the car park there is a word in the English language, JOKE, now maybe it was and maybe it wasn't but I would prefer to think that, rather than suggesting the OP has issues. (I assume you are thinking anger management) Lets be honest being cut up in the car park is very irritating and who can hold their hand up and say they have never got angry in such a situation. ( I believe a car park particularly near Chirstmas brings out the worst in human nature)

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
  8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi kehaulani
    You stated:
    "Schlaf schön, alle".
    Thank you! I did sleep well. Before bed, I usually play quarter bounce with Bix and as always, Bix won.
    Dr.Mark

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    This story is not unusual.

I personally know 5 people (3 with music direction degrees, one with a composition degree and one with a partial degree) that
    left the profession because of the behavior of parents and related politics.

10. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I guess you didn't notice the smiley face after the comment... smiley faces are to indicate something is a joke.