Proper technique for moving the third tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Creaphis, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Creaphis

Creaphis New Friend

Dec 21, 2009
    I've been holding the weight of my trumpet mainly by gripping the valves with my left index and middle fingers, and with my thumb in its loop on the first valve slide. While this is a pincer grip, I wouldn't call it a "death grip" as it doesn't require too much effort from any individual finger. My left ring finger also usually supports some weight in the third valve slide ring, my right thumb supports some weight under the lead pipe and my right pinky supports some weight in the loop on the lead pipe. I used to support the weight of my trumpet by letting the bell rest directly on my left index finger but I changed to this grip when I noticed a lump forming in my left knuckle from the sustained pressure.

Thanks, I'll keep trying.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Strange as it may sound, there are times I catch myself using my middle finger (International Piece Sign finger) inside the ring with my index finger nearest the valve casing to use the slide.

Perfect technique? Probably not, but it works for me...

Keith

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I really do not understand the problem. There are plenty of players with two fingers up and two down that manage to play in tune. The ergonomy of the trumpet has been this way for ages.

If the ring is simply too far away, get a technician to move it closer to the valve casing.

There used to be an option on many horns to have a trigger to pull on instead of a ring to push. Again, a technician could get you hooked up with little problem.

The easiest method would be to simply hold the trumpet like many do - all fingers above and the pinky free. Unless you have a specific issue with your embouchure, there is nothing wrong with "standard".