proper way of teaching high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Sep 6, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    In marching band two of my freshman playing trumpet two with me can't play with this one pretty high part. Its in 10/8 and it goes G G highA F. They are having trouble getting to the A in the rhythm, so i told them to use more air and not to think of it as a high note, but just right above the G, it worked very well, but i was curious, is this the right approach? They don't really have the drive to get teachers and our director is busy enough as it is, so i figured id give them a quick tip. From a previous post....I need the most volume i can get out of these two players. The other kid has much harder habits (a sophomore) that im not messing with, but for these kids its just a simple thing of extending there range and making it usable. But it is necessary to get these two kids playing, I know they can play very well, and having three people playing the part with a good strong volume, instead of just me is optimal.

So essentially, is this the proper way to tell these kids how to play the section of the music? It worked very well for them, and they weren't using pressure either as a way to get the notes out, but I just don't want to tell these kids the wrong way to play the notes.....

thanks for any help,
    kristina:play:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kristina,
    the section mates need the range BEFORE they turn up on the field. You automatically have to use a bit more pressure to stabilize the chops when marching - especially before you have experience.

Learning to play the high notes has many stages that simply can't be short circuited. A very important one is your advice to not think of them as high. More air is also important, but will only help when the players get their practice routine together.

I have said it hundreds of times, high chops come when we build the proper habits. Habits come with THOUSANDS of repetitions. There is no shortcut - especially during marching season.

The worst thing that one can do during the playing season is to change game plans. That is like braces. For the promise of a better future - much pain and inconvenience now. If your dentist is not the best, the results are similar to when you have no teacher - pain and inconvenience, and then you can go through it again after the first time didn't work.................

3. BellsSuperLube

BellsSuperLube New Friend

Mar 1, 2004
    Denton,Tx
    Kristina:

Playing in the upper register is pretty easy. There are a few pedigogical mistakes that have krept into brass playing that causes it to be difficult. The range that you mentioned should be very easy, even for beginning students.

If you will send me a private message I will reply with some info that will give your students F's above high C in a relatively short amount of time and they won't even have to change their embouchure. With continued use, of course they will develop beyond that. The instructions however must be followed to the letter and I would appreciate it if you would not share it with anyone other than your students or co-workers.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Yes! That sounds helpful.
    Does anyone else want a hand?
    No?
    OK then!

5. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    I really don't understand posts like this. Is it because this is some unbelievable new method that you want to patent or something? If so, as soon as you tell someone I believe you've shot that one, as it's in the public domain whether it's one person or a forum. Why be so secretive about it? If it works, you've got nothing to hide and we'd all hail you as our personal saviour (at least, I would!), and if it doesn't work, you're causing potential damage, or at the very least frustration, to vulnerable people.

Not purposefully confrontational, it's just the secretive nature of posts like this and similar at TH drive me nuts. :dontknow::shock:

trumpetnick likes this.
  6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There are no new revolutionary embouchure and or breathing techniques out there, just look and listen to past and present players ,and there will be someone using one of these new miracle approach's , it may be new to you and the poster ,but it's been around for a long time, the trick is to find the method that works best to optimize your current set up, there are a lot of different embouchure sets and most miracle methods work for only that one type. What I am trying to say is that every method works for it's author but may not work for you . A good teacher should be able to tell what type of embouchure your using and then know or at least learn how to get the most out of it, there are certain fundamentals that remain a constant in all methods, they then add some very different approaches for it's specific type of set up.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    So essentially should i just let it be? Its only the A above the staff they are having problems with, when they concentrate on it and arch their tongues, increase airflow, and keep the fact its only a step above, the note is played with the same toine quality they have for the G. So i often wonder if the note is there in their ranges, but they just don't exercise it...... But should i just let them find the A on their own?

ps: the two of them practice every sunday with a solid routine which is more then good considering they do sports and we have band every day during school, plus one and sometimes two three hour band rehearsals, and then saturday we have rehearsal, football game, and then head to competitions.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I want to learn how to do it

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kristina,
    it is almost impossible during marching band season to develop new playing skills/habits. You are all working your faces VERY hard and that does not leave a lot of strength left for additional range. You can get them on a steady diet of very soft long tones and very soft slurs to help build coordination between breathing, tongue and chops though. That is safe and will help in any case.

When someones range just STOPS at a particular note, they are playing with too much pressure and squeezing the lips off. Otherwise the sound just gets thinner the higher that you go.