Proper ways of creating vibrato

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, Jan 7, 2012.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I'm not sure I've got it. I am doing it with my lips, which on higher notes creates bad lip trills. Some people shake their horns a little bit, I heard about an "air" vibrato too. What's the generally accepted way?

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Whatever sounds musical and is your personal preference. I've always used a lip vibrato. Just because I've always thought that the hand vibrato looked silly to me.

Doc uses the hand vibrato without looking funny but this is because he plays so well.

Maynard used a lip vibrato.

Whatever you do make sure that you can TURN IT OFF or on at will. Sometimes cats get so used to playing with vibrato they don't realize they are doing it. A subconscious bad habit when not necessary. A lot of soft unison passages in jazz big band state specifically "no vibrato". You will see this a bunch on muted passages (harmon).

I've found that the best time to use a vibrato is when the tone is well on pitch but just doesn't sound right to my ears. Usually a solo and exposed phrase. I begin that note plain, ie on vibrato but then ease into the tonal quaver. Using the tonal vibrato to RESOLVE a phrase.

Think of how a suspended fourth resolves to the major key triad.

"Ahhh --- Men" as in church. Suspended fourth resolving to major triad.

This is what a proper vibrato does: Resolves a tone that doesn't quite sound right without it.

But again, just make sure you can TURN IT OFF1

Also that hideous overly fast vibrato of young nervous trumpet players sounds just awful. Avoid that in any form.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. oso2you

oso2you New Friend

Dec 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I love Harry James but I think he sometimes overdid the vibrato. It can be distracting if used too much, as you say.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I use my lips ( like a small chewing motion ) and miniscule air flow pressure changes.

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Product > Methodology

6. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Whatever one you are comfortable with. I would probably avoid the "air" vibroto. Due to trying to keep our air mechanism relaxed and free flowing. Why throw another kink in the chain. I personally use my lips in kind of a "ya" motion. It took a lot of practice. It sounded like a weird wa-wa when I first started. I tried the finger vibroto but my hand woudn't cooperate and would get to shaky and fast. Best of Luck!

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Watch Doc.....hand vibrato, doesn't look silly to me.

Ditto Harry James.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Practice makes perfect. Conrad Gozzo did it beautifully without shaking the horn. Doc did it by shaking. Just develop your technique and style and stick with it.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Sorry, but I don't think one can say he overdid it. That's called "style". You'll hear a lot faster and wider vibrato the further back you go in jazz history.

10. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    Ok, I just wasn't sure that I had it. Perhaps higher notes weren't meant for vibrato as wide as I'm doing. Not that mine is extremely wide, I can control it, just whatever I'm doing up there is too much. Thanks for the help guys!