Pros with Dark Sounds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I was on a concert with Jason Marsalis, (sitting on the first row),
    and heard Nick Payton playing one of his soloes.
    I could hear what happened behind the mic and what came out of
    the speakers simoultanesly.
    Scary stuff.
    It sounded like a split person...soundwise.

2. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009

Thanks for the names guys.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we can rescue one single TMer from the eternal pit of ignorance, we have been successful!:evil:

I will never give up trying to make all understand that picking single characteristics is reducing fine players to statistics. This is stupid with any art form.

Maybe we should ask what 5 star cook makes the reddest or thickest tomato sauce? A proper comparison to be sure!

4. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I see it as finding characteristics in different players that I like and would like to imitate. Of course if there is a guy that has perfect timing but sounds like crap I will not want to listen to him, but there is a quality of playing that almost all pros have and that you could find listening to any of them. I am trying to find the qualities beyond that level that make them stick out as individual artists and try to figure out how to put it to use in my musicianship. There is no perfect trumpet player and there never will be by everyones definition of it. However, I do listen just for fun and not analysing. That isn't the point of music. It is the enjoyment and emotional connection to it. Yet, I feel this is a possible way to improve my performing.

Edit- I will learn from what you said rowuk.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If you are looking to emulate a player, that's one thing. But what you came here was asking people to list other players based on one very subjective aspect to their sound, which is the polar opposite of what you just stated.

Now if you were to state "I love the sound of so-and-so, could you guys give me the names of some other pros who sound like him/her", that's a very different story.

FWIW, I don't find Botti's sound dark at all. It's big, full, centered and resonant. But I wouldn't call it dark. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  7. cruiseshipgreg

cruiseshipgreg New Friend

Jul 7, 2009
    on a ship somewhere....
    How about naming some trumpet players with Dark personalitlies? LOL. I'm joking of course.