Protec Double or Triple IPac Case?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new trumpet case and am trying to decide between the Protec double and triple IPac case. I can get either for exactly the same price but don't know which to go for.

I own a trumpet and cornet and am also looking to have somewhere to store my mutes (I use a separate mute bag at the moment and find it a bit of a pain). I hardly ever use the cornet and trumpet at the same time but always need my mutes when I use either. I am looking to go to music college in the near future so will need to travel on a plane with the case - I believe the double is slightly out of the length requirements for hand luggage, however I don't think it would necessarily matter. I would also be looking into getting an Eb in the future, however that is quite out of reach at the moment.

Double W=10.5in, H=23.5, D=10
    Triple W=14.25, H=22, D=8

The main thing I am worried about is the weight of the cases, double=8lbs and triple=11lbs. I am quite small and so am worried the triple is going to be too heavy.

Firstly has anyone ever used either of these cases and can comment on the weight and features etc and opinions on wether I get the double or triple? Can you fit music books in the double?

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You can get them with wheels. On international flights you can usually take instruments on the plane for free ( trumpets etc).

3. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I definitely don't need a case with wheels. It wouldn't be an international flight, usually they have to fit size requirements with British Airways.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I fly British Airways all the time and musical instruments can exceed the normal hand luggage size And are extra to your normal carry on bag. I suggested wheels as you said you were small and worried about the weight.

5. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    When I've travelled with them the instrument has always counted at your carry on bag? interesting.

6. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    My ProTec is the size of a double but configured for one trumpet and extra storage. I can put my harmon, bucket, cup, straight, pixie, and plunger mutes safely in the storage area. If you're accustomed to having a separate carrier for your mutes than this is a non-issue...but I just figured I'd practice my typing and suggest it.

7. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    At the moment I use a single gig bag and a mute bag which I find a bit of a pain to carry around as well. I am going to use one of the trumpet slots in the case for my mutes and either just have one for my trumpet/cornet to to rotate in and out of or two extra slots for them both to go into at the same time - just can't decide which option is the best!

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use a ProTec IPac triple for my cornet & trumpet, and all my mutes and other junk go in the 3rd instrument slot. The exterior pocket on the triple will hold a full-size music folder, but I don't think the one on the double will. The case is fairly heavy with 2 horns and all the other stuff in it, though.

Trumpetplayer24 likes this.
  9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Sorry, I meant as one of the two bags you can carry on, but it is allowed to be a bit bigger than normal size.

Trumpetplayer24 likes this.
  10. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I think you'll regret not buying the triple if you go with the double, and regret not buying the double if you go with the triple.