Protec PB301VAX

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Tootsall, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    OK, the trigger has been pulled. With my Getzen cornet being redone in gold plate to match the Eclipse medium red that is on order from Leigh, I'm going to be needing a good case to carry the two horns in. Checked with our "local" music supplier and they can get me the Vax case for $225 Cdn including shipping. Since it lists at $199 US, that represents about a 25% discount from "List" to "Retail" with exchange and shipping in the mix.

They're giving me a 3 to 4 week delivery... we'll see. I'll be letting y'all know what this case looks like once it's received.

By the way.. if ANYONE is interested, I got an email from Joe Gaspar at Dillons. They're selling a used Wiseman "double" case c/w all the straps and dividers for $300 US (about $500 Cdn once packing, shipping, exchange, etc. is included). A little too much for my blood or needs but for a gigging pro.......I'd be on that Wiseman like stink on a skunk.

I've posted before about how much I like the Torpedo Bag... it will still be used when I only need to carry a single trumpet "out of the house"; you just can't beat the protection that thing provides unless you're paying 3X the money.

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I think you'll like the Vax ProTec. I saw Mike's a couple of weeks back and it was considerably more compact than the older ProTec trumpet/flugel case. I avoid using mine except when absolutely needed, because it's so bulky.

Hmm, maybe I should sell mine and order a new one.

Dave

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yeah... I've got a Protec PB301T sitting here that's not seen any use in the last three years too. (Triple trumpet). Anyone interested in making an offer? It'd make a great storage "box" for someone who likes to buy/sell on Ebay a lot where cases aren't often included in the "deal".

4. connman

connman New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    York, PA
    Did someone say, ... TORPEDO CASE??

I just got a Torpedo Case for my new Kanstul WB. WHAT A CASE! You're right, it would be pretty tough for something else to beat this case for protection. Hey, maybe a Brink's Truck! :D

I have the older Pro Pac Combo Trpt/Flugel case. It is a little bulky, but I'll sacrifice the bulk for its protection and the amount the stuff it carries.

Hey Dave, I guess I won't be getting that Pro Pac Leather Case now.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Conn, if you pick up the attachable mute bag for that Torpedo you'll really be able to haul "the kitchen sink". I keep around 4 mutes and the in-bell trumpet stand in that add-on with no problems (unless you count getting the odd "ding" in a mute a problem...but I thought that was the whole idea of having mutes....so you could "ding" them!).

Only thing I wish they'd do to that bag is turn the "handle" 90 degrees to make it easier to carry in one hand. Maybe mount it mid-way along the tube too.

:)

The band calls it my "MiniMe" Golf bag.

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Hey ConnMan, I missed that you'd bought the WB Kanstul. Have you done a review for us yet? I'd love to see a compare and contrast with the Connstellation.

The Torpedo is a single, right?

Ciao,

Dave

7. connman

connman New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    York, PA
    Dave,

I didn't post any reviews on my new Kanstul "WB" yet Dave. I just picked it up last Thursday night. I made Final payment on it last night. I wanted to make sure it was a keeper. 8)

In a "Short Form" comparison to my Connstellation, it's 180-degree different. It took me a couple of days to make the adjustment. The Connstellation is a heavy axe and a .438 bore and the new "WB" is a LOT lighter weight axe and a .460 bore. The biggest thing I can say to you, or anyone else, trying to make an adjustment like this is, back off when you're playing. I was having some problems of over shooting and note break-up on notes above the staff. When I finally figured out that I needed to back off and not blow as nearly as hard, things really turned around for me. I've heard similiar comments on people making a switch to a Yamaha 6310Z "Z" horns.

The Torpedo case, yeh it's a single. If you ever get a chance to check one out, by all means do so. I fogot to mention, I did get the detachable mute case for it also.

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I played a Z for a couple of years. That horn certainly rewards "backing off". OTOH, the .463" Selmer takes all I've got. Of course, taste occasionally demands that I rein in my dynamics.

I played a WB at the DFW Trumpetfest. It's a very fine horn, IMHO.

Dave

9. SlideBone Ltd.

SlideBone Ltd. New Friend

Feb 15, 2004
    NYC

There are some good choices in cases. Marcus Bonna and Soundwear.

MB cases hold single, double triple and quad horns.
    Highly crafted offering maximum protection.
    If any on is looking for a triple, I have one on hand at a discount savings.

Soundwear is another case that Rich Szabo introduced me to.
    Excellent case that holds trumpet, flugel and picc. Another case well made with room to hold accessories and has a built in luggage carrier.

Soundwear will be available at SlideBone.com shortly.

10. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Just wanted you guys to know that "slidebone.com" is a VERY nice person to work with when ordering cases, etc. His prices are VERY competitive and, on most items, shipping is included in the quoted price. My Cronkhite leather "Super Triple" should be here Mon. or Tues! Hey Irvin...what color is the Marcus Bonna Triple that you have in stock? Is it leather or cordura?

Butch