Prumpet Trumpet (thoughts please)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thoughts ... sure.

Alison says "amazing" a lot.

Alison sounds great, but doesn't know how much a regular trumpet weighs.

For $179, it looks like a nice horn.

Mike

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    That's US$179? Here it will sell for AUD$295 I believe.

--bumblebee

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Obviously the design criteria were met.

Alison did have a dark sound at around 2:40 though.

My brother has terminology for a horn like this. He says that in life there are collectibles - and dustables. You can pick which one fits better. I am sure that they will sell a bunch of these just for fine players thinking that they need a vacation horn. I may pick one up - simply for my collection.

Random thoughts not associated with anythingin particular:

I don't have anything made out of red plastic that kept its color over the years.
    They need to make an attachment for the shower hose to blow the thing clean from time to time.
    I have all sorts of ideas for a groovy lyre to hold sheet music in marching band.
    The third valve slide ring is missing.
    How do we adjust the gap?
    Does a silent brass or other mutes fit?
    Can I get it in large bore?
    Do heavy valve bottom caps change the sound?
    What happens on a hot summer day when it is in the car?
    When playing in the middle east, does the fine sand grind the valves to nothingness in a short period of time?

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
  5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How is that question particularly relevant, compared to a brass trumpet? Or asking about bore size for that matter?

There is a video online of a small girl (Korean?) who is 4 years old, and seems not to be able to lift her trumpet, so it is attached to a stand for her. Maybe the lightness of a plastic trumpet is the key attribute for such a player? Other, one handed, players may appreciate that too.

--bumblebee

(Found the video again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9Fwi9DadY )

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This guy is HOT! I like the traditional, genuine artificial gold plate on the C trumpet.

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hmm that sounds an evil comment when you think of some of the recent threads. Does a plaggy trumpet even have a resonant centre

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If nothing else, the resonant centre will be the bank account once this thing starts flying (and it will).

Any hard tube or volume will have some kind of resonance. We can blow across the top of a beer bottle, coke bottle, conduit or drinking straw and get sound. The pros playing these instruments also got sound - obviously with little additional work on intonation or blow. That is an accomplishment in itself. The demo with the Tromba C was the right way - in a big room. I am impressed regardless of what I think about plastic and musical instruments. This concept has merit.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And now Jon Dante! Man that was a hot video! @9:10 "That actually comes out easier than on my metal trumpet", then he laughs! This is going to be great for kids and players that have issues with the weight of a brass horn and endurance. Where do I buy stock!!! :D

10. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    I don't think her articulation is anywhere near its usual quality on the fast passage at 2:02.