Prumpet Trumpet (thoughts please)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    And why is it that when anyone comments about how attractive Miss Balsom is, someone else has to be upset on her behalf? I'm sure she is pleased to be thought of that way. It's human nature.

She is a terrific trumpet player, who is also drop dead gorgeous. Why is that opinion not allowed to be expressed?

bumblebee likes this.
  3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    In that video, does it appear that Ms Balsom has a mouthpiece pressure mark? (See about 1:12 in the video) I used to get that when I was younger and used too much pressure, and by the time the ring appeared I was finished for the day.

--bumblebee

4. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    bumblebee wrote:
    I too noticed that, though I was unsure how common such marks are. Is some people's skin more sensitive to this than others? Does one also find pressure marks among grizzled old bandsmen?

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Okay, that might draw some entertaining comments!

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Two questions.

No 3rd valve slide for intonation? (Not really a question)

What do you use for valve oil?

Mike

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Because it is almost never expressed along with any discussion of her ability as a musician. It is purely an objectification of her looks.

8. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Tine Thing Helseth is another terrific female horn player. Not hard on the eyes, either.
    Or is this another of the comments not allowed? Please tell me as I need guidance.
    Michael

9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Because no-one would make that kind of comment about a man, and surely how she plays is the only thing that matters in this context?

For example, stuff like this:

That's demeaning to her, both as a player and as a human being. I understand it's "tongue in cheek", but as a joke I find it very tired and no longer funny.

Really, that's just trolling.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

And so what? Freedom of Speech is a right that has been fought for! She IS drop dead gorgeous, but it didn't stop me buying her latest CD. Me, I'd love a review that said, " The first trumpet in the pit orchestra for this show is drop dead gorgeous." Or better yet, "Ruggedly handsome."