Prumpet Trumpet (thoughts please)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Guys are guys. Sometime to fault, we like to notice women. And sometimes to a fault, we feel compelled to defend women. We've got both camps in this thread. I personally could do without both. First of all, she's not that hot. Second of all, she doesn't need me to defend her.

So live and let live, guys. If someone makes a lighthearted joke, take it at face value. And if a lighthearted joke offends you, then take a minute to consider that maybe you're the problem.

Mike

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

3. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Calm down. No-one is trying to censor you.

You're confusing "freedom of speech" with "freedom to speak without opposition".

The former is a right. The latter is reserved for dictators.

I am simply arguing an opposing viewpoint from yours. If you can't accept that this is something that happens in life, there is no use in further discussion.

No-one told you you can't. I just said that I disapprove. Me saying that (obviously) doesn't stop you from going anything.

So...

Did really no-one else find that her articulation was not up to her normal impeccable standards?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Anyway Back ON TOPIC...

What Valve oil is used?

I know the question has been asked, but too many politicians and point scorers between thoughts?

Anyone else tried this pTrumpet. I don't like the Tiger - but LOVE the Tromba.

My next Tromba will be Gold.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My Thoughts on Tromba
    - Has 3rd Slide adjustment
    - Use Ultra Pure or any normal oils , and Lubes
    - Takes my normal mouthpiece
    - Takes my normal Mutes
    - Light as a feather
    - Cannot wait for the Gold Version.

Just thoughts

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    These plastic trumpets look great for cold weather marching band. Thanks goodness I don't have to do that any more....

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I am going to be a bit controversial here but I do think Miss Balsom while not actually trading on her looks she has a talent for sure does not do any trumpeter any favours (including herself) with outfits and photo's like this

Alison Balsom Pictures - Classical Brit Awards 2009 - Zimbio

Autographed Music Photos - Alison Balsom - Limited Edition Print 1

I do think the fact that she is good looking, (I wouldn't say drop dead gorgeous) has opened a few doors to her having a solo career. Would the rank and file red blooded man prefer to buy a CD with her on the front or say Reinhold Freidrich, of James Watson. She is very marketable and her looks are part of that. My suspicion is an equally talented young man with a bit of a beer gut from playing in a Yorkshire Brass Band and a prematurely thinning hair line would not have got a look in. Bearing in mind that the only dicey looking photo on the front of most classic FM CDs is that of Luciano Pavarotti and even he had an attractive (though not to me) cheeky quality when pictured from the neck up. There are countless examples of this. Alison Balsom, Katherine Jenkins, Alfie Boe, Russel Watson even this new singer who is styling herself as the Peoples Soprano cannot get through what should be a girlish O Ma Babbino Caro, without her bosom heaving as though she were Carmen trying to attract Don Jose. The fact is we live in a world where beauty opens doors and if people look at these classical beauties so be it, for good or ill. Believe it or not Monserrat Cabalie and Maria Callas barely get a look in on Classic FM these days. Neither does Maurice Andre or Hakan Hardenberger, why? I suspect because they don't look so good on a CD cover.

Right back on topic. I did find the clip a little irritating with Miss Balsom almost mugging for the camera to sell the instrument. However I would like to get my hands on one sometime, the company produces the Pbone which is a very useful piece of kit, I believe it was the first of this new wave of plaggy horns and having seen them in action I would not hesitate to try out their new product. I can see some real use for one in schools where they may replace the band room bangers of my youth.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I most certainly never post chauvinist, but could not help but notice for THIS COMMERCIAL VIDEO, that her blouse was not opaque. No one needs to wonder why comments arise, regardless of correctness. If the ad people stage it, I will look and even sometimes comment. When I adjudicate, I always comment non conservative- regardless of sex.

bumblebee likes this.
  9. MichaelMontcombroux

MichaelMontcombroux New Friend

Aug 19, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    Cornyandy wrote:
    Miss Balsom has moved from the realm of simple musician into the world of celebrities, where rules are non-existent, or if there are any, number one is get the public's attention. Hence the outfit. It makes no difference what instrument (or any) she plays. She's a name, a commodity. For that reason, comments on her looks are fair game. She needs no one to defend her as a trumpet player or a woman. Maybe she is part of a wider phenomenon. I know of some female flute players who appear on stage to play serious Baroque music in dresses that rely mainly on friction and luck to stay in place. Miss Balsom and your beer-belly toting male trumpet player inhabit different worlds, and she knows it.
    Good on you Cornyandy for pointing this out.:play:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Friction and luck..... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL