PSA: Torpedo Bags and chapstick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Sam, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    About 30 minutes ago, as I was getting ready to practice, I took my metronome and mouthpiece holster out of the lid on my Torpedo Bag Classic, and left my chapstick in the lid. I also left my horn in the case; I always start my warmup with buzzing. I shut the lid without zipping it, and guess what? The chapstick comes out as I shut the lid and falls straight down the bell! :bash:It got stuck down there pretty good, and hopefully I can get the my local repair technician tomorrow to get 'er out of there.

So basically, DO NOT STORE CHAPSTICK IN THE LID OF YOUR TORPEDO BAG CLASSIC/LOREDO.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hate to hear that. Know it has to be frustrating. There has to be a good joke here -something about appling chapstick first, not through the bell.

4. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Haha, good one! :lol:

5. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Maybe run some warm, soapy water down the bell and see if it will shake loose?

Or, if you play an Ambassador like I do, just beat the horn on your matress a couple of times! :bravo:

6. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, I tried dumping some valve oil down the bell and shaking, with no results. Wouldn't dumping water down make it go further into the bore?

7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't go "dumping" water down the bell. But, running warm, soapy water into the bell might expand the brass just a bit and let the soap loosen things up. Or, remove the third valve, run some warm water in from the other end, replace the valve, and BLOW! Just some thoughts.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'd put water in the lead pipe and blow my guts out.

9. corona

corona Pianissimo User

May 6, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have you tried soaking your horn in warm water? The warm water may expand the brass a little and the water may help to have the chapstick float out.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think filling the horn with water and blowing it through the horn is a great idea, and maybe the valve action will be enhanced by this washing. You know, strange things happen for a reason.