PSA: Torpedo Bags and chapstick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Sam, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I will try this right now, thank you.

2. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I tried it without success. Now I have a stick of chapstick stuck and my lubrication is shot...

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I keep my horn in a seperate bag with a drawstring which means I can pull on the bag and not the bell to extract it from the Torpedo. This apparently would have an additional benefit when storing my vienna sausages in the lid.
    Well , you don't need lubrication until you clear the obstruction! Take it to your local garage and have someone blow compressed air into the receiver. MAKE SURE YOU SECURE THE SLIDES!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  4. Trumpet-Sam

Trumpet-Sam New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just wait to get to my local tech. And by bag, do you mean like an anti tarnish bag?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yes, I have a bag from John Ogilbee - great product.

trumpetbagsusa | eBay

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    But it could be any bag, right? Your point being that it protects the horn from the exact kind of mishap the OP has done.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yes, any bag. The horn in my Torpedo is a Conn 40B. With its beadless rim I worried about grabbing it out by the bell, hence the bag. The long horn barely fits any other case.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A. Remove all valves and 3rd slide and insert a cleaning snake up through 3rd slide receiver tubing, gently nudging it through each of the valve casing ports until it is pushing up through the bell tail. You may be able to dislodge the chap stick.

Or:
    B. Take a Brass ball small enough to fit through the slides, remove the first valve, and insert the brass ball into the casing port connected to the bell. With plenty of space around you, gentle move the trumpet up and down in such a way as the brass ball will be flying down the bell tail and knocking out the chap stick.

coolerdave likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you have a gastroenterologist as a good friend, perhaps you can ask him nicely to get out his colonoscope and biopsy forceps and take it for a spin.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Even maybe try to go downstream a bit, so to speak, and come in with some compressed air into the first valve tuning slide pulled out with the first valve pushed in? That way you make it more direct, shorter route. Less places to cut down on air escaping. This is not based on any experience on my part, just principles of greater the distance, the greater the >loss of air.