Public apology

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry tscharner, Jan 16, 2011.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    A while back there was a question about a Yamaha that wouldnt play after being reassembled from being cleaned. I, among others assumed the owner of the Yamaha was, for lack of better words, young and dumb. And proceded to tell him to check for the correct valve number in the right hole, and to turn the valve till it clicks in the index spot, I even suggested he have the school band director check it out .

Yesterday I took my Yamaha apart to clean it and after doing a great job I lubed and put it all back together and safely in the case. This morning I took it out to practice as usual and WHAT DA.... No sound. After some checking I discovered that the valve will click in two different spots 180 degrees apart! Figuring out which valves were wacky and reoiling got me going with a sigh of relief that no one knew What a goof I am.

To that person that I gave advice to while rolling my eyes, I apologize.:thumbsup:

jbkirby likes this.
  2. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I'm guilty of doing that....Almost threw my horn down in disgust. Yammies aren't the only ones that do that. I had that experience with my Schilke as well. :play:

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    That was very classy, good for you, for doing this.

BrotherBACH

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's great Larry,
    My Dad came across an Olds Cornet from the 50's. It was in the local antique shop and was selling for 35 bucks -- because it was broke - my dad bought it for me.
    - the valves were in the right position -- but like you say -- they clicked in 180 degrees apart.
    It plays great.
    that could happen to anyone --- but you got class to come back and say your thoughts --

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think I have ever resisted the urge to try the trumpet after I cleaned it.

6. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I learned about this (valves can be 180 degrees off) when I was a kid. I learned that when oiling, or reassembling, to put in one valve at a time and blow in the leadpipe to make sure it was seated correctly.

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    And doesn't it make you feel great when the horn is working properly. Such a sense of relief?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I remember the first time it happened as a 5th grader...

Now, my Bach Strad has a "hard" click when I put it in the right way and a "soft-feels-wrong" click when I put it in the wrong way.

9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    $35 eh? tell you what, i'll pay you $50 for it. i know i know, i'm being had...

10. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Well I test played a Jupiter 1600i. After oiling the valves and reinserting them I gave the horn a bit of gas and darn near blew my eardrums out. It turns out that the Jupiter has a 180 degree reversal of the "normal" read Yamaha or Bach valve guides.

The horn played fine when the valves were reversed.

Cheers,

Brian