Public apology

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry tscharner, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    On my York cornet, the first two valves are "normal," as you put it. The valve numbers face forward (call it 6 o'clock looking from the top). But the third valve is about 120º off to the right, somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock. I haven't seen or heard of another instrument that is offset in that manner. And yes, that valve can also mistakenly be put in backwards, as I have done.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That is unusual. I have a Buescher Super Aristocrat that has the valve guides offset from where you'd expect them and there are no numbers on the valves .... Took me more than an hour to sort it all out the first time.:stars:

Turtle

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    larry sez:
    No sound. After some checking I discovered that the valve will click in two different spots 180 degrees apart!
    --
    Gosh that takes me back to high school when we'd take someone's horn (when they weren't looking) and put the valves in backwards.

4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Had the exact same thing happen to me. I teach instrumental music to grades 3,4&5 and was showing third graders how to oil their valves. I had my horn with me and spent considerable time cautioning the kids to be sure that they put the valves down in the right position. I forgot to practice what I preach and I'm sure you know what happened. The kids had a good laugh!

5. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hey Markie,

Did you ever get 2 strad's together & re-plumb the tuning slides so that you had one leadpipe going into the other horn. Mad - you have to play the pitch for your part, but play the fingering for the other part.. Sign of a wasted youth...

Another favourite was during some bars rest, just gently lean over to your neighbour & pop out their 2nd valve slide whilst they are not looking.

:-)

6. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Realized I was off topic, thus started a new thread about an efficient way to sort out valves on trumpets.

New thread found here...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    lol thats funny, only things we did to each other were pull the tuning slides out (or push them in)... and pour water bottles into each other's tubas

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I cleaned my Getzen just before the Yamaha and all went well. I keep the spinning of valves to a minimum when reassembling or oiling and my Olds has never done that before either. This was a new one on me. Life just gets more and more complicated doesnt it? Thanks everyone for being so understanding of a goof like me. Best wishes.

9. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Yep, just bought a Jupiter and it mentions in the manual that, after re-oiling/cleaning, to gently blow through to make sure the valves are not 180 degrees out. I worked out that the valve numbers stamped on the valves need to 'face' you when going back in. No wait, face away from you... no, no I was right the first time. Ha ha, just kidding. That's my easy way to remember: I should be able to 'read' the valve number from the mouthpiece end.

10. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yep, tired minds think alike lol:D