pucker! Question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VAN, Sep 1, 2009.

1. VAN

VAN New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Pompano Beach
    Hello, I went through an embouchure change and presume that pushing all your muscles forward into the mp is the pucker. I believe and correct me that it is better to push your lips into the mp than push your mp to your lips! Can it be safe to say that when you pucker the lips vibrate easier and you use less mp pressure. Thanks By the way I played for years using the smile.

2. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I think that you should do things natural and use as little pressure as possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure that that's the way to do it. If you have to use more pressure, I also think that it's better to push your lips into the mouthpiece.

3. VAN

VAN New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Pompano Beach
    It was very very hard to get used to playing w/o pressure! Its just in your mind that the higher you go, You have to jam that mp against your lips! I also do free buzzing which helped me get used to no pressure and that combined with airspeed!

4. markquinn

markquinn New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
    I would not agree with pushing your muscles into the mp. Somewhere muscles need to mount to bone in order to function. If you are pushing them forward to achieve some sort of pucker, you may be dismounting some and causing more problems.

The concept of pressure seems to be at the heart of the discussion here. Pressure is part of the simulation of the muscles of the head structure. The concept of playing with "no pressure" really is a myth. You will need enough to create a seal.

If you wish to "read" the amount of pressure you are using into your lips, look at your ring readings on your lips. ( the marks left on your lip area by the mouth piece are called ring readings in the Anatowind system.) You can tell how much and what type of pressure you are putting into the lips by looking at your ring readings.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Using a "pucker" in the embouchure does not mean to push your lips into the mpc. This is a misunderstanding of the concept. A good embouchure is a balance between the pucker muscle and the smile muscles. Do you have a good teacher. They would clear up misinformation about forming an embouchure