Puffed Cheeks vs Cheeks In and Annual Check

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Aug 11, 2010.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Hello everyone,
    Recently, there has been a lot of mention of puffed cheeks and what not, so I decided that while I'm doing my second annual jazz and sound check, I'll include a puffed cheek vs. cheeks in comparison, because I puff my cheeks and I feel that it actually sounds better for me. By the way, I mentioned before that I don't puff my cheeks but rather a "rectangle" around my mouth. However, after looking in the mirror today, it's fair to say that I really do puff my cheeks.

YouTube - ‪Buddy Bolden's Blues.wmv‬‎

This first link is me playing Wynton Marsalis's version of Buddy Bolden's Blues with my cheeks puffed out, like I normally do. Feel free to critique and give your suggestion. Keep in mind that I've recorded this in my small room, so it will sound bright. Also, you'll probably need to turn the volume down.

YouTube

This is me playing the same song with my cheeks in. Pretty much everything is worse I feel.

So maybe this puff vs. not puff is something to consider :dontknow:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cheeks in or out is not really the issue here. The fine motor activity of your face muscles prefers what you have practiced for the last years. That does not mean that you have optimal control (or not). It just means that the comparison is invalid.

I won't get into the big picture of which embouchure is only a small piece. Without a one on one lesson, there is no chance to clear this up. My experience is that when I have a choice, my students do not try and reinvent the wheel. I have never had a student that needed to puff.

3. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    I have played for 7 years. I've been puffing my cheeks for less than a year. Although it's true that I'm now less used to not puffing my cheeks, I don't think that that is the difference. I originally developed the habit of puffing my cheeks as a way to keep pressure off my lips (the air above the lip compresses and naturally pushes the trumpet away). However, as soon as I started doing this, I noticed that my articulation improve (double tonguing especially), and it was overall much easier for me to do what I wanted to with the horn. Of course most people have success not puffing their cheeks. I'm just saying that puffing the cheeks is not necessarily a bad thing.

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The 2nd one is a private video, I can't hear it.

I second everything that Rowuk wrote.

5. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    I made it an unlisted video. It should work if you open in a new window or tab.

6. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I absolutely love this song. I've been trying to figure it out for a while but can't get past around 30seconds. You didn't happen to write out the music, did you?

7. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Yes I transcribed it myself- it's not exactly right, but it's almost there. Either way, it fits.

8. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Due to a couple of requests, I've decided to list the notes to this song in order:
    G G A A B C B A G F# G A G# G C B A G C B A G C B A G C B A G F# F A# B D A# B D A# B E D B A# GA A# B F D F B B D D D B D# D# D# B (Half valve) C C A G A G E D C G G C C B A G C C D E D C A# G# A F D C A F C C D# D# C D C A D# D# D#~C A C C G A G F# G B B B A F# A C E E E E D C A C C C G G A A B C A G B C F C F# G D C D# E A E A E G (no valve fanfare rhythm up to ABA triplet and fall down to an F# which is then half valved) D E F F# G A B E D C# D C# D C# D D F B B D D D D D D D# D# D# D# (half valved stuff) C A G G A C A D E C C D E G A B C D E D C C B A# A A# A D C A F C C D# D# C D C A D# D# D#~C A C C G A G F# G B B B A E F F# G A B C E C A G D G A D C G A G F# G A B C E G C E C