"Puffing" Note Articulation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Nov 30, 2010.

1. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Call me a "square" but I was only recently introduced to the music of Lee Morgan. And what else can I say about him other than... Wow! Incredible!

Questions: Concerning his articulation did he "puff" his notes? I'm having trouble trying to figure out what syllables he used. Is that style of articulation something unique to hard bop or something? Whenever I hear Wynton Marsalis in some kind of behind the scenes impromptu playing session where he's messing around with jazz versus the classical stuff, I seem to hear a similar "puffing" of notes coming from his instrument as well.

Once again, thanks!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Can you give an example of a 'puffed' note? Maybe link a youtube video with the time it occurs.

3. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
  4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Tgl....first I have to say that I didn't know Selmer made a Bundy in 1951. A lot of great trumpet players played $200 horns at some point...even in their professional careers ( methinks as a trade off with heroin addictions ) like Chet Baker and Miles Davis.

Now on to "puffing" the notes. I am not exactly sure what you mean. Here I digress to Tim Matthews ( Alto Sax with Count Basie ) who told me to make EVERY note count. Do something with every note.

I like to start a sweet passage without any attack ( Ave Maria ). I practice coming into the note with controlled airstream that vibrates/resonates milliseconds before it exits the bell for others to hear. I'm just pushing air and vibrating my lips with my pitch in mind. It isn't fluffy, but rather unexpectantly "appears" on pitch. Again in milliseconds. This blends well with laid back jazz behind the beat. That is just one observation on one note. Now, make every note special with subtle dynamics. There is a definate beginning..middle...and end to each note. We should think like that. I don't make my horn sing but more like LET it sing. Chuck Cox 1949 Martin Committee Deluxe.

5. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Thanks Chuck Cox!

I'm actually not sure if the cornet is a '51 model. I got that date by plugging the serial number into a website. It's a Bundy but it's also stamped Bach Designed Selmer Bundy so I just throw the Selmer in there for "street credit."

Thanks for your help!