puffing the upper lip?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BAM, Nov 14, 2003.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    THIS is a job for KINGTrumpet, an expert at living life in the past!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, wasn't it Kingtrumpet that puffed up his upper lip with an air compressor, trying to prove some hair brain point on trumpet physics? There's another blast from the past as well!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

No, it was his bottom lip. That is why he has to use them asymmetric mouthpieces.

gmonady likes this.
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cody, you've learned well from this master. Welcome to the "Let's Bash KT Club". Send me a private email, and I will share with your the secret hand shake.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Come on guys, let's not bash KT and his Asymmetric mpcs. Apparently he can make do with it and most of you can't or won't ... and I suppose many of you have never seen one and/or tried one. At least I have one and also can make do but just find it uncomfortable even after Doug M rounded off the outer rim as much as he could. Likewise, I don't find many here who favor a Parduba mpc as I do.

What I believe most can't or won't comprehend about the Asymmetric is the embouchure switch to a 2/3 lower lip and 1/3 upper lip, but in some way with about all my mpcs I've sort of taken the brunt of my lip placement on the lower lip allowing more flexibility to vibrate with my upper lip. Seemingly such works for me and KT, but I'll reprise and paraphrase my statement of: "If you believe a method or equipment doesn't work for you, there is a greater probability that it won't." Still, if you "make do" it might.

Such said, if what you use and how you use it works for you, I'm not advocating you change.

Yep, the dirt on my back when I shower washs down the drain into the sewer. Likewise, so goes what is said "behind my back" about me. At my age an awful lot has been said of me behind my back, expecially so by ex-wives.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Your not new around here, so you should know that we all love KT. We just pick on him in the nice way. I dont know if we ever asked, KT, do you mind us?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I knew, but whatsa matter? You didn't like my taking sides with KT? I enjoy marshmallow battles, but even they sting when I use my Whamo to launch the minis, or someone does the same at me.

Yeah, I'm sure KT also takes a shower or goes for swim.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You dont side with the enemy, come on Ed.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But not for me. I did try the asymmetric for a week and could not produce a decent sound, as it cut me back 80% of my traditional sound. As for the feel, well to my lips, it would be like stuffing a full figured C-cup woman into an A-cup bra. We full lipped trumpet players need room to hit our sweet spot (go figure). So yes I tried it, and I did not just will it out of my mind... hmmm, but now my mind is picturing a women filling a C-cup... Darn you Ed, now you got my mind drifting off again!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is it really almost Saturday night already?