Puffy Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Aug 18, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I got braces on a about a month ago and I am just starting to feel good with them:D , but about 10 minutes into my practice, my lips start getting puffy and I find it hard to play. This was never a problem for me before my braces. Help me! Thanks in advance

2. johnmarkpainter

johnmarkpainter Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Do a Google for Jet Tone Lip Protector, and Brace Guard Lip Protector.
    This is also a good time to practice Zero Pressure techniques.

Try just palming the Trumpet sideways on your left hand and work on producing a tone. It probably won't sound good but keep trying.

jmp

3. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I've tried this(Brace Guard Lip Protector) and I haven't had much luck with it for some reason.:-(
    Can you please explain Zero pressure techniques more?

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Zero pressure is just that, you hold the horn so that it just touches your lips and try to produce a tone. You only apply enough pressur so as to not have any leakage. When you start out, try to make a good tone even with a little leakage to see just how little pressure you really need.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    There is a book at this link. Buy it and take your time.
    Stonebrass Store

At risk I will suggest you tilt your trumpet down and anchor on your lower jaw braces. Now buzz a third space C with as little pressure on your upper teeth as you can. Play as long as you can softly. Now play the D. Ascend one note at a time for as long as you can play the note softly with no pressure. Keep going up.
    Keep your lower jaw forward so your lower lip is under your upper lip. More than likely your lower jaw has retracted so you are anchoring on your upper teeth and that means pressure on the upper lip. This will take awhile to adjust to.

Find the Cat Anderson method somewhere on this site and study it.

We need to find previous threads from this site and provide the links to you.
    The administrator should compile them under an orthodontics subject.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007