Puje Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tim80, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Anybody play one?

Tim

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Obviously not Tim.

I must admit that I also would be interested in hearing what people think. They look like fun.. I played Andy Taylors quatertone trumpet last summer (which has a similar slide on the bell side of the valve block) and I thought it was a great idea. The concept of a shorter trumpet is also interesting.

Regards

Trevor

3. TheGlue

TheGlue New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    Puje

Tim,

I play a Puje and it is a nice sounding professional instrument. It doesn't project as well as a trumpet, but the intonation is good and the sound is very nice. It took me a couple of days to get used to the blow, but when I did, I was really able to vary the sound of the instrument to match what I wanted to sound like. It can sound quite bright with a trumpet mouthpiece. Play it softer and the sound is more like a cornet. Put in a Curry TF mouthpiece and it can do the job of a flugelhorn.

-Erik

4. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Erik and Trevor,
    Thanks for the input. I can't wait to recieve the Puje. I'll post when I recieve it.

Tim

5. Tim80

Tim80 New Friend

Nov 24, 2003
    Plant City, Florida
    Puje

I recieved the Puje today. It is a great sounding instrument. I got what I expected. The trumpet plays well with a dark tone. A fun little trumpet. It is about the size of a cornet. Valves were ok. Not great but servicable. Fit and finish is ok. Not as good as most high end horns but again servicable. But the tone is really neat. I put a Bach 6B in it and it had a dark almost flugel like tone. Then I played it with a GR e65MS and it sounded almost like a cornet. With the DeNicola piece that came with it brightened up a bit.
    All in all I am not disappointed at all with the Puje. Especially considering the price.

Tim

6. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Tim,

Sounds like fun. Have you come to grips with the slide off the bell yet?

Regards

Trevor

7. Patrizio

Patrizio Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    I am resurrecting this post to ask you guys if you have any idea of the price of Pure trumpets....Thanks

8. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    I had one and sold it.....sorry I did as the designer/builder Bobby DeNicola died a few years back......the Pujes could become a rare collector's horn worth much more than you paid for it. The one I had was a very well built instrument that played very well....it just wasn't significantly different than about 30 other horns I had (as far as playing it). Don't get rid of it as it may become very rare in some years.....I still have about 3-4 DeNicola mouthpieces I bought from him, will never get rid of those; theyare in my opinion, superior to many others out there.

MJ likes this.
  9. D Miles

D Miles New Friend

Oct 6, 2015
  10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Note that the site listed is for new instruments fashioned after the original DeNicola Puje. I think flugelgirl has one. I have an original Puje which was refinished in copper plate by Mike Del Quadro. It's a player.

Claude Gnocchi and D Miles like this.