Pulling out the first and third valve slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 3, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I know that pulling out the first and third valve slides is good for making your tone flatter when it's too sharp, but is it okay to pull them both out at the same time?

2. Dave in Vegas

Dave in Vegas New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Sometimes A is out of tune, You can use your first slide or 3 valve alternate fingering, also on some horns B flat is out etc. On low D, 1 and 3 or c sharp 123, you can use 3rd valve slide to bring in tune or a combination of first and third etc. At all and any cost, play the note in tune :)

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Unlike the main tuning slide which changes the pitch of the entire horn for every note, the 1st and 3rd slides only change the pitch of notes which involve those valves. So, moving the 1st slide, for example, will not affect a note unless it uses the 1st valve. Therefore, the only time that the 1st and 3rd together will affect a note is if it uses both valves. And, in that case, either slide - or both - will affect the pitch. It doesn't matter if you use one or the other or both. Except, of course, that if you use them both together, you will have double the effect on the pitch so that means that you use less movement of both slides. Since the slides do not have preset positions, it then becomes necessary for you to 'hear' the pitch that you are creating and use only enough to bring the note to the correct pitch. That takes a lot of practice to do on the fly, especially if you are trying to adjust two slides at once. That is why many models only have a 3rd valve adjustable slide. There are very few notes that need a 1st valve slide and they are not very far off and most players can adjust the pitch with their lips rather than fiddling with a slide.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is only one case that needed throwing both slides I found in about 20 years as a trumpet player and that is in Carmen prologue for that famous low F, however throwing to 1st slide in that case is rather optional. With the 3rd slide extended to the limit it gets almost in tune which makes lipping down not a big deal. Everything said so far was absolutely correct - not very likely to need extending both slide at once.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is no problem to play in tune with no movable slides. it just involves a good ear and practice lipping up and down. We use the slides to tune the notes, allowing us to play with the fullest, most resonant sound. Which slide you use depends on the note and the context of the music. If you feel a need to use both, go for it. Like Nick said, I have only run into this with Bizets Carmen and Honeggers King David. In both cases there is a low F that can be cleanly played 123 with both slides extended.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I tend to use the 1st and 3rd slide when playing low C#. I just don't throw out the 3rd slide as much as I would if I didn't use the 1st valve slide as well. I didn't used to do this, and I don't know when I picked up the habit, but it doesn't cause me problems.

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have heard to pull of the third slide for Low g's and I also heard to not pull the third slide out. Which one is correct?

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    For me it depends, on my strad, with the trigger on the 1st valve slide, ill use the first valve slide for low D, Csharp, Fsharp, etc. On my two other horns, I use the third valve slide for the notes. Then of course using the 1st valve for those sharp notes, such as Csharp in the staff, but I've never used them at the same time.........

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You don't really have to use them at the same time (except for those excertps mentioned before), but there isn't anything wrong with using both for low D or C#, as long as it isn't flat.

10. Dave in Vegas

Dave in Vegas New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Check your intonation and decide accordingly.