Pulling out the first and third valve slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    On many horns the low g is in tune without any slides. My Schilke, however, shows the same sharpness on the low g as the other 1-3 combinations.

Check your horn out, and tune accordingly.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It depends. In theory, low G should be sharp since it involves a combination of valves that should require some correction. However, many trumpet players relax too much when playing down to the bottom of the horn and tend to run flat.

I remember a rehearsal, many years ago, run by a conductor with perfect pitch. We were playing a brass ensemble piece that had the trumpets playing a low G, and there were serious intonation issues. A heated discussion ensued, with one of the trumpeters insisting that the problem *had* to be that the trumpets were sharp since they were playing a 1+3 valve combination, and the conductor insisting that the trumpets were flat. The protesting trumpeter was a retired engineer, so there was no possibility of compromise. An endless succession of low G's followed. When we gave up, I wasn't extending my slides and was thinking "up" on the G.