Purchasing a trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BandCrazy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. BandCrazy

BandCrazy New Friend

Aug 10, 2005
    Hey guys! I have been involved in band for many years as a woodwind player, but recently I've taken an interest in the trumpet. I've been looking for a good instrument that I wont outgrow too fast, but I also need to keep the price low enough to get my parents to consider it. I've found a trumpet at this site: http://www.music123.com/Bach-Bundy-1530-Trumpet--Used-Mint-i130326.music What do you think? And, if you don't think that is a good beginnning/intermediate horn, do you have any suggestions/web sites that may help me? I'm not looking for a beginner horn that I will get tired of after 6 months, but I'm also not looking for something totally expensive. Ideas?

2. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    No one trumpet is going to "bore" you, unless you yourself get bored with making music. The main differences between different trumpets are their playing characteristics. I'll just go over a few of them pretty briefly for you here.

Slotting - the ability of the instrument to "lock into" a note.

Intonation - The "character" of the sound; mellow or bright

Valve action - sluggish or speedy?

Construction quality - pretty self explanitory

The least important thing to me, other posters may disagree, is how a trumpet looks. If it looks like crap but plays like a dream, I'd use it. It's all about the sound. Brass, gold, and silver all have different tonal qualities as well. Brass, being the least dense, is also the brightest sounding of the three metals. Silver plating will mellow your sound out more, gold plating even moreso. I wouldn't worry too much about plating since you're a beginner, as you have to build up your chops first.

I don't know what the playing characteristics of the horn you picked out are, but I can assure that it won't be a waste of money. Just stick to practicing and you'll be fine.

-BP

P.S. - You might also want to edit the perios out of the end of your link. ;-)

3. BandCrazy

BandCrazy New Friend

Aug 10, 2005
    So do you think that the trumpet in the link is a good deal? I don't know whether to think it's a steal, or whether there is something wrong with it.

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Who knows what the quality of the horn is since it says it is "C stock." Yuo might be better off looking on ebay for an Olds Ambassador, a Yamaha 2xxx, or a Bach tr-300.

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

When someone calls an instrument "used" and "mint" it is a lie. Stay away. The two words are exclusive of each other. The description continues "C Quality" I believe that isn't so great.

The valves are probably worn. They are usually worn on this model when they are new. If you can only spend $200 save a while and get something better.

You could call local band directors and look for used student models from kids who have quit playing. There are probably lots of them that are available in your area.

Call a local brass repairman. They usually have a line on a good deal.

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    It's great to see woodwind players comming over to the dark *cough cough* I mean, "brass" side. ;-)

The Bach Bundy is a pretty decent horn for a beginner, but I would suggest probably buying though a local dealer in your area. Personaly I don't feel comfortable buying things off the internet, espesialy something important like a trumpet. I promise you just about any dealer will beable to sell you that same horn, or at least something simmilar to it and probably even better for 1) a lower price, and 2) better customer service/warenty and what not. Plus, at a stor in you area, you can try it first, see it first, look it over and make sure it's not total junk.

In my opinion, when your first beggining you can't really go wrong with any of the big name brands, ie: Bach, Yammaha, Holton, Blessing. All of them will work just fine for a student who's just learning.

If you decide to look on ebay, be very cautious about what your getting into. Anything that says "Band Director Approved", "German Made", or any thing where the location is out of India, and most from China are pieces of crap. I also wouldn't buy anything that dosn't offer a 100% refund if your not happy with the product once you get it. Even though theres alot of crap on ebay, there also lots of good deals on great horns.

With all that aside, it really comes down to wich horn suites you best and wich one you like the best.

7. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I would seriously look at ebay if I were you. I got my old Yamaha 2320 like new for $133. I see Olds Ambassadors go all the time for well under the Bundy. I've seen Jupiter Tribunes and Blessing ML1s go for $300. I'm not saying the Bundy a bad horn, it's basically a begginer horn with nickel plated valves and a 2 peice bell. Also C Stock means that it has extensive wear,not just cosmetic but also wear that can affect how it plays(dents,bent valve stems etc.). Here are some horns you should look at on ebay:

Olds Ambassador
    Getzen Capri
    Holton Collegate
    Yamaha 2320

Those are some to look at but, like I said the Bundy isn't a bad horn and may last you 5 years or longer. But take a look around before you make any decisions. Chris

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    If you don't like using e-bay (or other auction sites) I would recommend Dillon Music (used horn section) or maybe the HornTrader.com.

Dillon has been excellent to work with on both new and used horns.

Good luck and welcome to the world of large egos, medium bore horns and small mouthpieces ... ;-)

9. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    I agree. If you are uneasy abut purchasing a trumpet from ebay try Dillon's. They are great to work with,knowlegable, and their prices on used instruments are often a steal. Chris

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    "German Made" - that would include Scherzer and Galileo, to name but two - two of the finest makes on the planet.
    "from India" - that would include the Besson (not Bessons - that is a different discussion altogether) student range - which are some of the finest beginner/intermediate instruments you are going to find.
    You can't beat a bit of stereotyping :roll:

If you are looking for a trumpet that will suit a beginner, yet will also last a few years into your development, I have a couple of suggestions

Yamaha YTR4335G
    Besson 1010
    Stomvi Prima
    Stomvi Debut
    Bach 300 (although I don't like this one personally)
    Olds Ambassador (older instruments, but often worth searching out)

If you are going to be having lessons, ask your teacher for their advice.