Purchasing etiquette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Borgatt, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    I have been trying to order a new horn, and was hoping for some input. Here's the story so far.

I decided 4 or 5 months ago that it was time to get a pro level horn. I recently got a good job, so I decided to splurge a bit. After quite a bit of research, I have decided on a getzen genesis custom 3003. from what I can see, getzen seems to take customer service seriously, and I havent heard anything negitive about their horns. When contacting getzen, I ususally get a repsonse withing an hour, which I consider impressive.

Here is where it gets frustrating. There are only 3-4 canadian dealers for getzen. And only one nearby, a major national chain. At first I think this is good, as they offer pruchase plans. This way I can start making payments and when the horn is ready in 10-12 months, Ill have most if not all paid off. I contact the closest store and inquire. It takes him a couple days, but he finally get me a quote on both the gold beaded and silver beaded finish. I decide on the beaded finish and reply with a couple questions about down payment and geting the process started.

That was in the beginning of december. I emailed him again two weeks later to follow up, and he said he hadnt heard back from getzen and emailed them again that morning. I wait another two weeks. Nothing. I email getzen myself, and of course get a response within an hour. She says sorry for the delay and that she has emailed the chain with the details and that I should hear from them shortly. That was two weeks ago. Still nothing. This is not the first time I have not been taken seriously by a music store for a large purchase. However with the previous instances I was able to get what I wanted from ebay. In this case I am stuck dealing with this store if I want this horn, as Getzen will not sell direct (seems like a weird policy). Aside from calling up the store and giving them a blast, which really isnt my style, I wonder what suggestions people have for me. I have my heart set on this horn, and other than not selling me the horn directly, it does not seem to be getzen thats the problem here, just their dealer. Any thoughts?

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Become a reseller and sell it to yourself?
    :)

3. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    Believe me the thought has crossed my mind!!!

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    He he he sorry, couldn't help it.

I have a similar problem here only even worse. The dealer (yeah... the only dealer) of wind instruments in here basically sells Yammies or Bachs... And the occasionnal second hand weird brand.

I can feel your pain.

Although at least, you have a Getzen reseller near you. I don't.

5. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    While I love to use e-mail, you just need to call the store. An e-mail is easy to ignore.

6. Tim McGinley

Tim McGinley New Friend

Why don't you just find another Getzen dealer that has better customer service?

Seeing as the horn has to ship to you anyhow...why not find a company that will work with you?

I have always known the Getzen company to be of the highest quality and service, you know the horn will be worth the wait but there is no need for you do deal with hassle as well.

Just my 2 cents.

I hope you enjoy your horn when it arrives!

T-

7. brasstrio

brasstrio New Friend

Jun 30, 2008
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Give this information to Getzen and ask what you should do. They have an active interest in making sure that their channel marketing concept works. I am sure that the vice president of Marketing, as well as the owners take this very seriously!

9. Borgatt

Borgatt New Friend

Nov 26, 2008
    heheh, just sent an email off to getzen before I read this. Thanks!!

10. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Hello, Why not try Dillons music? They have great staff, great inventory. If I recall, there were a few Getzens there. They have some very nice Bachs' Very nice Conn Vintage !s', they also had Schikes' I myself have just acquired a Selmer Concept TT.

Look for Perry. He is very good and very attentive. They also have very good and fair prices.

And I do not think that shipping to Canada would be a problem.

Hope this helps.