Purpose behind heavy caps, buttons, and valve bottoms?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah I want heavy but can't afford it now!! :D

2. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Rather than making my horn heavier, I am working on making the player heavier. I'll let you know how that works out, but I've already ruled out wearing a heavy cap (hurts my neck)...

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So THAT's why Donald Trump is such a pain in the neck? It's his toupee. Now I understand!

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Almost the same thing here...

I used to do sanctioned BBQ cookoffs. Seen plenty of guys with 100k RV's, 20k+ smokers, computer controlled temperature sensors get the ribs handed to them by some toothless cooter in a straw hat and bib overalls cooking on some old barrel he made in his backyard.

When the judge is tasting your entry they have no idea how much money you spent to make it. Same thing with trumpets. The audience has no idea what you are playing... it only matters how it sounds.

Play whatever equipment makes YOU sound better. Do heavy caps work? Sure...if you believe they do! Maybe it is a placebo effect. I don't know.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A free analyser is available with Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

You just need a decent microphone and you are on your way to computing millions of use(less)ful factoids.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    A cool thing about the Concept TT caps is both weights are the same size on the outside, so you cannot tell which is in place. Makes for a more objective test.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A blinded study is a better study!

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My Concept caps measure, light 0.450", heavy 0.580", I know it is not a good test when one has to change caps, play and look at the results on ones own.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Well, Lots of people have chimed in most without any real experience with heavy caps or tone enhancers. While there are a ton of useless gimmicks for the trumpet, sometimes something works for some people. beyond so called theories there is direct experience or what I like to call "field testing" At first I was skeptical about the heavy caps and mpc weights. When I tried them I tried various combinations. I found that what made a noticeable difference was when I use the Curry heavy bottom valve caps and his Mega Sleeve mpc weight. I when I used them together everything on the horn became easier. Slotting, control of dynamics, ease and control of the extreme registers. My sound has a denser core with better resonance. I didn't have to work as hard to play. Now the difference in response was slight, but enough that I use the caps and weight on all my horns and mpcs.

Now some people don't like the results they get which is fine. For me it worked with the way I play. Besides anything that actually makes the job of playing easier, I'm all for it. When you are getting paid to play sometimes demanding music, I want as much as possible in my favor. You are only as good as your last gig and they don't like excuses.

But I've never advertised it and I really don't talk to my students about it. because they don't play well enough to tell the difference.

10. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    The heavy caps that Schilke makes use that same idea, the weight is inside the cap. I believe they come standard of the S42LJF, the Jon Faddis horn.

Brad361