Purpose behind heavy caps, buttons, and valve bottoms?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, putting heavier caps onto any trumpet will change how it plays because it increases the acoustic impedance of the trumpet.

Whether or not a player can detect any change and whether they like it or not is a matter of subjectivity.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The point of heavy caps is mainly player feedback and ease of slotting. I doubt there's much, if any difference in what the audience hears. Same with different trumpets - I can sound like me on an Olds Ambassador or my old Bach Strad. It's a lot easier to do so on the Strad, so that's why I play it instead of an intermediate-level horn. So, if a cap seems to make notes lock in better, or I hear them better, or whatever, I know the difference, but no one else probably will.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I read all the comments about valve caps just now and WOW .....such a controversy. I felt compelled to answer to my statement about heavy caps making no difference. My wife is sitting here beside me doing taxes and I walked into the living room to play a couple of warm up scales then right into Schubert's "Ave Maria" that my wife has heard me play many dozens of times. I played " Ave Maria " then walked in here to the den where my wife is and asked her what she thought about " Ave ". She said it sounded like it always sounds when I play it. Now the rest of the story.....wait....wait....wait...he it comes !!! I took off all three valve caps to play " Ave Maria ".

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Chuck,did I ever mention you had a brilliant wife. She's definitely a keeper. Thanksfor "capping off" this discussion.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Gary, Jeanne said " Tell him I like him ".

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Right back at her.

And let her know how lucky she is being married to such a gifted individual that has the power to enable and enhance the performance level of others, which from my following your posts and your personal guidance, has clearly done for me.

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I tried heavy valve caps and mouthpiece and found them to make the horn stuffy, they work well for other people so go with what works for you

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    send me a PM, on her rates --- and if she can counsel via skype or the phone!!! here is another question, if it is all psychology about making a horn heavier (( ok it is a stupid question) but what about manufacturers who have NOT tweaked their horns. I am saying my King Silver Flair appears to NOT play any differently by pimping it with heavy caps and such ---- BUT what about some cheap student horn --- perhaps valve caps, or something might actually help them

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In these situations, Kingtrumpet, the physics of the horn is more impacted by so many other more dependent variables. Do read rowuk's discussion on the physics of the trumpet to put this into perspective.

In addition, if you want to make a cheap student horn sound better, this can be done simplist (and likely more economically) but finding the right mouthpiece that best matches the characteristics of the leadpipe bore of the trumpet. Again, Claudio Roditti demonstrated this by showing how a $75 trumpet sounded like a $75 trumpet until he exchanged a mouthpiece he had custom made for that horn. That same horn, after replacing the mouthpiece, sang with such a rich tone. I just don't think you will get as much bang for the buck (and likely no noticeable change) in working with caps that are located outside of the main air flow of the horn.

10. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    They help slotting. That's a definite. Depending on the horn they can also make the sound a little darker and mellow. Still if you put in a shallow lead piece, you can still get the brilliant sound.