Purpose behind heavy caps, buttons, and valve bottoms?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    We all need to do a myth busters test. Have someone hand you your trumpet without you knowing if the valve caps are on or are COMPLETELY removed. Evaluate the sound and retest 3 times with unknown status of the valve caps. Let's eliminate what we preconceive about valve caps. We all share notes about the sound. I'll go first. I have found that I cannot tell if the caps are on or off while playing my Martin Committee.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OR the player -- I was at a concert once where Phil Driscoll took his Schilke custom made (horn and mpc), and then put that down and demonstrated a garage sale student model something or other with a 7C -- they both sounded the same -- and it was all the player behind the trumpet/mpc combination.

my point was - maybe tweaking an inferior trumpet -- does actually have more beneficial improvements -- than just psychological --- and yes -- the physics of the trumpet is extremely complicated, if you want a more in depth analysis than the rowuk article -- I can provide that also ----but I don't think it is necessary, as it is really beyond the scope of this post -- IMHO