Pushing yourself and maintaining good tone.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am finding that there is a fine line between pushing myself when practicing and maintaining good tone. One the one hand if I don't push then I don't get better on the other hand if I push too much I develop bad habits. Are there good ways to manage this development process?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Easier said than done, it doable. Push yourself to the point just before it starts to sound bad.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Practicing bad habits is not practicing at all...So don't practice bad habits :) Arbans sucks...worst damn book for trumpet ever written. Heck page three is a real work out. But its better to suffer pushing smarter than harder.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only way to be successful is to make sure that we have a solid foundation. If you had a daily routine really worth that name, you wouldn't ask the question because you would immediately hear and feel the difference.

Solid starts with discipline - not adrenaline or testosterone. When in doubt, it is also useful to have a second pair of trusted ears to fall back on. Some call that "teacher", others call it "mentor", for the casual player a "duett buddy".

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Whoa whoa whoa there cowboy! Arbans sucks? You mean that one book referred to as the trumpet Bible? The one that the general population of trumpet players recommends? Yes, it may be outdated in some aspects, a little challenging but I can't think of a single trumpet player who would not benefit from opening up the Arban every once in a while.

Back to the question at hand, as Rowuk mentioned you should immediately hear and feel the difference. I contribute that to not exactly knowing what was going on. When you feel the difference and hear the difference, you've reached the limit. Do you have a set routine?

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    As a relative newbie (3 yrs) I'd agree that it both sucks and is great. In pre-internet days, when getting good advice was hard to do (unless you had easy access to a teacher) I'll bet Arbans discouraged / damaged many would be good players. To me it's like getting a book on how to run a marathon, and page 2 says "ok, go out and run 5 miles as fast as you can". Really bad advice. When I hit page 3 (or whatever it was) in Arbans my first thought was why in the world do the beginning exercises have you going above the staff. That's until I checked in here (TM) and found out there are good sequences of exercises to follow, etc.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Arban's CONSERVATORY Method was just that. It was written for advancing cornet players who played at the very least a solid intermediate level and was (is) used by more advanced trumpeters and at music schools and conservatories by qualified teachers who knew (know) how to use the book in its proper manner.
    It was not written for - nor should it be used by - beginners of any age unless they are under the advice of a good teacher. If you can play through that book and its still very difficult exercises in the proper manner, you are one heck of a trumpet player. (Go learn all the Characteristic Etudes. Not easy, are they?)
    To those of you who say it doesn't teach high register, do what Maynard did and play things up an octave!
    That book, when used properly, is still a fabulous tool for trumpeters. Pianist still use the Czerny exercises to great benefit and those were written years before for the Arban's. And piano music has changed too, don't you think?
    All this was said by Rowuk some time back, too.
    Rich T.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Arban's doesn't suck...we do.

9. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I am no teacher, self taught about 3 years. im still working on my range and very much pushing myaself, But when i work on a scale say an f or g (g on staff is my highest note i can play so far). I push it up to the high note every time i can even if it sounds like crap as long as its the (high) note, then practice just hitting the (high) note a bunch of times. Then ill roll back and work on the tone, after i have the physics to be able to nail the note easier. I guess its just where your at, so to speak, and where i'm at, i have to push myself but then i very conciously roll back to get the tone right before pushing on... so to speak.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I've found that when I'm pushing myself I'm not in the groove. I'm just going thru some self imposed sadomasochistic exercise. I must continue with the passion I began with. I must feel the music. I must love it. Whenever I'm starting to get tired I stop and rest a few minutes, then I pick it up again. Getting better means loving playing more with a goal established to conquer some exercise that I have determined is my next mountaintop experience. It feels so good to complete it and then realize your love and passion brings greater joy of achievement. Best Regards!