Putting Ice on your chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jul 28, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I was just wondering if putting ice on your chops would make them better or worse the next day?

Mine have been gone all week and need to something to help them heal faster.

2. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Not to be snarky, but how long ago did you go play test that Xeno that you claimed let you play forever without tiring? There are always consequences for pushing too hard, whether you feel it at the time or not.

Your chops are muscles just like the ones in your arms or legs. You have to build them up slowly and take care of them with intelligent warm-up and cool-down. Also, like all muscles, if you try to push through injury you WILL make it worse and significantly increase rehab time. No quick fix will give you magical endurance and range, and no piece of equipment will absolve you from the need to engage in intelligent practice to develop a strong embouchure and good tone.

I don't know what you mean by "shot" so I'm not going to try to give you a fix over the internet, but if they hurt, slow down, play soft if at all, and avoid loud, high playing with any kind of pressure until they aren't hurting anymore. It may take a few days of really easy playing before your chops come back if you really bruised them up.

Scatmanblues

3. 1stTrumpet

Nov 5, 2009
    I don't have the Xeno yet I'm getting it on my birthday in August.

4. Scatmanblues

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    I know you don't have it yet, but when did you go play the one at the shop?

I'm guessing that probably blew out your chops, or at least set the stage for the fatigue you're feeling now.

Scatmanblues

5. 1stTrumpet

Nov 5, 2009
    Naw that was a long time ago it has nothing to do with why my chops are kinda bad right now.

Right now its because earlier this week I was practicing this etude nonstop until I had it down, then I did some transcribing and then I had to go to a jam session

Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't a good idea

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ice won't hurt, it does help get the swelling down. That doesn't make your chops any stronger, but keeps the Angela Jolie face minimized.

Looking at the bigger picture 1stTrumpet, not practicing enough is the stuff that THIRD Trumpets are made of.............

7. Scatmanblues

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas

Ahhh, my apologies, I missed the original post date of you story and saw it right below this post and wrongly assumed it meant you had just play tested the horn.

Scatmanblues

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I always find that I run into trouble when I force myself to play out of my comfort zone. Expanding that zone is a slow methodical journey. Sounds like your paying the price for overdoing it. Ice may help but time and intellegent practice will help overcome the setback. I suggest you take Scatmanblues very intellegent acvice and you will be fine. AND stop letting those dogs chase you!

9. kneelknurd

kneelknurd New Friend

Sep 10, 2009
    Tifton, GA
    Actually, Preparation H with Biodyne is fantastic when you've stressed your chops. When you have a four hour gig and you wake up with swollen lips it does the trick! It is only available in Canada since the FDA prohibited it's use in America. Something about Live Yeast Cell Derivative and Shark Liver Oil that offended them, I guess. I also use it with my brass players in the high school band to reduce swelling. Much more comfortable than ice. I just cover the label and write "Kneel's Lip Stuff" on it so they don't gross out. Also I don't use the stuff on my bung first!!

Kneel

Vann Thornton

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah the FDA prohibits for no reason at all. If you look at all of the crap that IS allowed by them, I would be VERY worried about forbidden stuff.

I also have a problem with kids and drugs. There is no reason in high school to waste faces and then use chemicals to compensate that. Millions of kids do a fine job without. All it takes is 30-90 minutes a day of practice and the kids have good chops without potentially harmful chemicals. On those days where band rehearsal goes a little longer, cold drinks are all that you need.