Putting together a band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Sep 19, 2007.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Was not sure where to post this.. this forum seemed like a logical place though.

After 3 years of trying to find some local people to form a band to play at charity events and revivals, I was ready to give up. Then one guy contacted me, and advised me to run an add on Craigslist. I hesitated, I was basically afraid of running to all the nuts out there. But I finally relented and did so.

The add was up for the last two weeks...and...Now it looks like we are getting a band together!
    :thumbsup:

I am up to 9 instruments (we need to find a lead vocalist yet), assuming that nobody backs out (and I am not counting on that). A mixed bag of experience and playing levels, from comebackers like me to performing professionals.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask those of you that have put groups together in the past, what are some of the pitfalls/problems that I should be careful of? What are some of the common things that present themselves as obstacles to forming a group like this? (I am not really talking about copy right issues though).

Thanks

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    People don't commit.

To either personal practice or to come to the group practices.

It's hard to practice with a full set.

I guess it's true for any group, but large groups are worse.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Finding a time to practice as a complete group is the most difficult part, followed by finding times to perform as a complete group. Two options here: only practice and perform when complete, or not. Depending on the complexity of the arrangements, a smaller formation can do just as fine a job as the full group.

A caution though, if you are planning a praise and worship group--be of one accord what the primary goal is: if you want to be a polished group, then your playing opportunities will be perhaps fewer and farther between as you might wish. If the focus is on the message rather than the messengers you'll discover some pretty strange and wonderful things will "just happen."

Good luck!

5. Crunch

Crunch New Friend

Sep 10, 2007
    Dunno what kind of band you are putting together. But, few pieces of advice... Been playing for money about 5-6-7 years now. Changed, what? Hmmmm... 5 bands in this period. True what everyone else saed above. Finding time to practice is a bit of a problem. The more people in the band, more difficult it is. Than, if you just play for fun, and not for money (you didn"t say what you are into) someone is going to backout really soon. Count on that.
    It is extreme difficult to find FOUR (there are four of us in my band)
    people that will work (play) together and get along. Everyone has their own taste, and different personality. It is good to have a lider in the band, but if there are two (or more) people that want to be in charge...Bigg issue. Democracy is an option, but it doesn"t work quite so well. Next, this is almost always the problem with lead singers. (No offense ment here.) They gotta be heard. Their mic has got to be at least 30% louder than the rest of the band and vocals.
    At least. Of course, this can be problem with any of the member, but lead vocalist, brother... This problem is lesser as people grow older, but still... It is hard. And with NINE people? Really hard. But, it will be a great expeience, no matter what. If you have any more questions, just shoot. Glad to offer a piece of advice, although I am no expert.;-)
    P.S. Hope no one gets offended by this thread, I was just writting down my experiences.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    1 piece of advice - have the practice times and dates set before talking to potential band members, that way they can say yes or no. After you form a group and try to set practice times there will always be conflicts no matter when you try to rehearse. Just a piece of advice from experience. Dave

7. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Vulgano...that is exactly what we are up too. Have you been reading my e-mails or something?:lol:

The goals were stated clearly in the add, and focus on Christain values and evangelism (sp?).

8. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Crunch;

Not sure about the "playing for fun" part...we do have some goals (see my reply to Vulgano)...but there won't be much money involved. At first, we probably won't even ask. And even if it all works out, we will be lucky to cover expenses. Primarily doing charity events, revivals...things llike that.

So yes...I do expect some people to back out even before our first gig.

What you said about the lead singer being heard...I will keep that in mind. I hadn't thought about that yet (but I bet our singer has).

9. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Thanks to everybody. You given me some things to think about.:D

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    I know you have probably already thought of this. The band I'm in is pretty serious. We get a tune the way we want it. Record it. Cut everyone a CD and practice at home.