Quality Brass Band music

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Lazorphaze, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    if anyone in the twin cities and surrounding region wants to hear a good brass band, go see the Lake Wobegon Brass Band. I went to their 2nd concert of the year, and it was wonderful. their site-
    www.lwbb.org
    i am in no way associated with them, i just wanted to spread the word.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Good for you for going, Lazor. I've heard they're terrific. The guy who makes my batons, Chuck Olson, used to be their conductor. Is that still the case? Come to think of it, I'll bet he's left for the Southwest for the winter by now. He's developed a rather bitter distaste for our cold winters.

ML

3. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    no, their conductor is Micheal Mastenson. hey, I'm curious, because my band director plays this in the ensemble...what's a Repiano cornet? :?:

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice website, thanks.
    Good sound clips.

-cw-

5. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    B flat Repiano Cornet is the "roving middle linebacker" of the section. Often used as a solo voice or doubling the Soprano Cornet in unison or at the octave. The Repiano is also used to add weight to the other Cornet parts.
    In the past the flugel part doubled up with the repiano part but nowadays the flugelhorn has become a "solo" instrument in the brass band. Hope this helps ;-)