Quarter tone 4-valve horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by PhatmonB6, Jun 4, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I'd have to guess that Joe is putting out his version of the old Don Ellis Quarter Tone Trumpet that was originally made for Don (and his trumpet section) by Holton. The original design was a descending valve by a quarter tone to any other fingered note on the trumpet. The slide was half the length of second valve (descending half step) which gave you the quarter tone. Don had a book out, fingering chart from he!!, the technique he developed was amazing and the guys in the section worked their fingers off for some of the charts he wrote using this system (the blues took on a whole new meaning!!). I remember Glenn Stuart keeping his Besson Meha close at hand and only playing the Holton when absolutly neccessary. For more options as a jazz player this could be very interesting, but the Firebird I thought did this kind of thing even better. It was like Maynards SuperBone (left hand had valves, right hand had the slide) and you can play all the quarter tones and in between notes you wanted and glissando like crazy. I think Steven Bernstein did the most creative playing on slide trumpet with this concept. When Don passed I think each of the guys kept their quarter tone trumpets. I remember Glenn had his.

3. amirtrumpet

amirtrumpet New Friend

Oct 23, 2007
  4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The chromatic intervals on a scale are called half-steps right? So a quartertone is half a half-step.
    So, the first three valves act the same way as a normal horn, and the fourth lowers the pitch a quartertone

5. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Hub van Laar has build a new quartertone trumpet. There is a video on his site where you can here it in action:

Quartertone

6. aldir13

aldir13 New Friend

Jan 12, 2008
  7. kagancevik

kagancevik New Friend

Oct 29, 2008
    Hey Everybody,
    I have a quesiton?who can know it?
    YOU know Ibrahim Maalouf,He has a trumpet quarter tone,What brand he use?
    Hub Van Laar Holton or?
    What is it?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As far as I know, it might just be a custom Selmer.

9. charley

charley New Friend

Apr 19, 2008
    Bath, UK
    In Malouf's interviews he said his father made one back in the 60s, but he doesn't say that is the one he plays. He is, however, pictured on the Van Laar website so i assume he is there because he plays a Van Laar…

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I'll get one soon:

[​IMG]