Question about a Bach TR 700 Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brian69, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Brian69

Brian69 New Friend

Feb 23, 2009
    need to know how good a bach prelude tr700 trumpet is for a second year band student ?also could you compare it to a jupiter model 660

2. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    The Bach Tr700 is the most basic horn that bach makes. I have played it before. Of course it is not the best horn, but it is a good student horn. If you are a serious player and wish to continue playing, this is not a good choice. Maybe a Bach Tr300 or TR200 or a getzen or a yamaha intermediate. So my suggestion is, if you don't think you are going to continue, it's ok to buy this instrument. On the other hand, if you are serious about playing, get something a little better, especially if you are taking private lessons. If money is a problem, look for used horns, you never know what you could find. Good luck:-):play:

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You may want to look for a good used pro horn. If you plan to continue playing it would be a wise buy.

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Despite what most players on TM will tell you (and I'm sure they'll post the opposite). I recommend a Cesilio horn. They aren't the best quality, BUT they are good quality. I have one as a back up horn and I love it. It's durable and has good tone quality. The scale is true and I doesn't have intonation problems like most cheap horns. I paid $150 used for my horn and they retail for about $300 to $500. This would be a wonderful horn for a second year player. Remember that it's cheap so when the player gets good and if he/she likes it, he/she is going to want a better horn. So if you only pay $150, making the payments on a Strad or Xeno shouldn't be a problem. If you can afford it, because I sure can't :).

Hope to be of service

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I would try Bach, Yamaha, Holton, Getzen, student trumpets, once you are a Jr. or Sr. in high school I would then recommend a pro horn, most intermediate trumpets cost a lot more than student trumpets ,but are only student models with some added features, but basically still the same trumpet.

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    This is a VERY basic and entry level beginner trumpet. If you are serious and want to stay in the budget range get a TR300 which is a good beginner trumpet. With care it will last you a very long time. Jumping to an "intermediate" horn is a waste of money. They just have a few more whistles and bells than a beginner horn and will not give you what you need to excel. If you are serious and will continue to play onward, get a Strad 37. This is a great professional horn that will last you a lifetime and fit almost all your playing needs. Once again, you will hear varying opinions on different brands and who thinks which plays better, has quicker valve response, etc. My best advise to you is to go to a major music store that has several different brands and try them. Find out which trumpet feels and plays the best for you. It is just like getting a pair of shoes. You usually, at least most people, try them on, walk in them and find out which one feels the best for them. The same is true when getting a professional trumpet. You will be making a major investment and you will want a return on that investment.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Rushtucky is on the ball. I have two sons, one w/ a TR300, the other a TR200 silver. They both play very satisfyingly well IMO. There are subtle build differences, but an intermediate horn basically means you're getting a better quality carrying case with the horn.
    Get either one, A TR200 should run $600+ used, a TR300, $300+.
    Grab that pro horn, too, eventually, yes, but as a second year band student like yourself, keep it at home until your fellow band mates mature a little, y'know what I mean. Unless, of course, they all have strads and yours won't get so much attention. They'll always want to grab it and play it and they won't be as careful with it as you and you'll be nervous around them with it, etc.

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bachstul, thanks. By the way, my group, the Tarnished Brass, is going to be down in Tennessee at Pidgon Forge with the Shriners (we are the ones with the Fezs). I will let you know where we are staying if you want to come on over. Lots of libations to go around.