Question about accompanying vocalists

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ocdlaw, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Ocdlaw

Ocdlaw New Friend

Jul 13, 2015
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA
    I've been playing on a church worship team that consists of 4-6 vocalists, drums, keyboard, guitar and bass. The music that they mostly want me to play is accompanying an exceptional female alto vocalists who has a very kind of soul/blues/gospel style. I've been experimenting with different sounds with her but I don't have any experience in this sort of slow, raspy very emotional style and I've never really heard it before with trumpet. Anybody know of any recordings where there is this kind of voice accompanied by trumpet to give me some ideas about how to blend and complement her?

Thanks for any tips.

2. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    For accompanying a vocalist, the H&B Cup mute works really well, or a Mic-a-mute.

If it is Older Blues style, then a Solotone works well too. The straight Mute would be my last choice, but if that's all you have...

Sometimes a Crown Bag, or a Beret over the bell can soften enough - as you mentioned, you need to work with the singer. The singer is the centre of attention, the trumpet supports, unless a Solo.

Good luck

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    About the mute on the song I am not sure, a lot of that old records sound like they are using a straight mute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTecT7DHOQ

I own a cleartone solotone mute made by H&B and it could do the trick, this is Dale Proctor's describing of the solotone:

I play a Cleartone mute on a couple of big band solos, sounds sort of like a cross between a straight mute and a Harmon with the stem in, maybe with a touch of cup. It projects better than any of those, though. Can't help you with the others (assuming my description of the Solotone was any help...

The tone is indeed some kind of warm straight mute.
    I think King Oliver and the young Louis Armstrong used some kind of straight mute quite often.

http://www.amazon.com/Humes-Berg-Stonelined-Cleartone-103/dp/B0002DV8BU

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It is probably a Shastock - and the Solotone/Cleartone is probably the closest thing available.

On that recording it did sound a bit like a straight mute, on here it has the Shastock sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-u9RRhq35Y

6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Here is some really great singing with trumpet - Ella & friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-ukqXVQog
    At the beginning-
    I can't give you anything - Looks like a Shastock Tonal Color (H&B Cup probably closest current)

Of course a delicate Flugel will always sound good..

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    In the first Ella song, dedicated to you, the horn sounds to me as a trombone, played in the Tommy Dorsey mode.
    The second clip seems to lack projection of the trumpet.
    The flugel is IMO often a cheap escape from truth but that's another discussion.
    The OP asked explicitly for a sound that fits in a raw bluesy environment so whith all respect I don't think the quite smooth Ella F. sound is a good starting point.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
  9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Dennis are you sure you are in the right thread?

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Well I thought Paula Coles voice was kinda raw and emotional and Chris Botti was a nice match. Did I miss the point of the OP?