Question about an old King Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Anonymous, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    A student of mine just inherited a trumpet from his grandfather. Can anyone give me any info on this. He said it was in great condition. I'll have the chance to see it soon. At first the way he was talking I thought it was going to be a Mt. Vernon because he mentioned Bach. But it turns out to be just a Bach Mp and a King Trumpet. This is the info he gave me.

What is a 17C1?

The case says King, The H.N. white co.

The label on the bell says King Super, = 20 , H.N. White Co. Cleveland Ohio

There is a number on the third valve slide, 872, is that the ID code?

Mouthpiece says Vincent Bach Corp. New York, 17C1

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    It's hard to really give the value of the horn. I did search and I can't seem to turn up anything (and that includes using hnwhite.com). All I've found is that the bore, unless his is a large bore model, is around .448. Should probably have a fairly bright tone to it. Unfortunately that's all I could dig up.

3. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    It sounds like you have a King Super 20 Trumpet.

Check the serial number on the middle valve casing. The "872" is probably the last three digits of the serial number. They did this to keep parts matched during production. If you can get the whole serial number and let me know, I can use this information to give you a goood idea on the horns age.

These horns were produced in the 1950's.

There were three different models.

A small bore model with a .448" bore.

A medium bore model with a ,458" bore, and..

If you have a "DB on the middle valve casing it is a Dual Bore Symphony model .458"-.468". This model was produced in both a brass bell model and a sterling silver bell model that was called the Silver Sonic.

These three horns were considered a couple of the best of the best and are top quality professional playing instruments.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Thanks for that info. I had the chance to play it yesterday and it actually played really well. It needs some work and it had an old valve guard wraped around the casing that would take a while to get off. next time I'll try and get a look at the serial number. It did say Super 20 on the bell.