Question about Apple iPods...

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by trumpet blower88, Jan 7, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm sure a few of you may have gotten a new iPod this holiday season, so maybe one of you that knows what you're doing when it comes to computers and mp3 players can help me out.

I heard it was possible to take DVDs that you already own and put them onto your iPod (the new video ipods). I've been serching though the apple website and the iTunes program to figure out how to do it, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

I thought it would just be like adding songs to the iTunes library, but when I pop the DVD into my drive on my computer it just goes straight to the DVD viewing program and I can't figure out how to put the files from it into my iTunes library.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is it even possible? I don't get it, and it's beginning to give me a headache!

There's even a section in the iTunes program called "videos" underneith the "library" secton and what not, but when I go there it's just a black screen theres no way to add files to it.

I'm so confused....

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

Have not tried that method. Only video stuff ive done to an ipod was convert some tv shows I downloaded for my little sisters Ipod.

Im not sure if you will be able to transfer most dvds since most recent one are protected, and that makes it a pain to transfer.

You might also look into using the divx player/ripper. If jyou could get it to rip to divx, you could us another program to convert to file that the ipod could readl

Either way its a P-I-T-A. Apple wants the $ by making you download from itunes.

EDIT: After looking at that link it seems to be for a mac, dunno if u have a pc or mac. Most of the things that pulled up on google were for macs. Just google until you find something.

3. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So basicaly, if I only have windows, I'm screwed...

Well, I guess that means its time to start serching the internet for something similar I can use on windows...

Thanks for that idea though, my problem was that I didn't know such things as mp4 files even existed, haha.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    try looking at versiontracker.com I've gotten software there for Mac, but it seems like they have a good selection of PC software as well. If nothing else it's a good place to start.
    -Jimi

5. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Every thing I find cost about $35.00, but couldn't I just open the file from the DVD player and then "save as" ****.mp4? I don't know, that seems to easy, but its worth a try I suppose....

EDIT: Yeah, that idea didn't work, I think I might just have to pay for it.... :dontknow:

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    TB, can't you download MediaPlayer 10.0 and then use the "sync" function? That's how I just put a whole mess of tracks onto my new Zen Touch player. (I tried using the Creative Media software but it was a PITA).

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I don't think Microsoft and Apple play well together. Besides, you can't burn DVDs to MS Media Player, can you?

-Jimi

8. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Ripping the DVD onto the computer (the thing MS Media Player can't do) is the only thing giving me problems. Once I get it onto the computer I can load it into into a program like media player and convert it to a mp4 file easily. The problem is ripping it onto the computer, all the program I have found that do that are anywhere from $30 to $40.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You should have some software that came with your DVD burner that allows ripping. Once it's saved in the computer then you might be able to use MediaPlayer to sync it to your IPod?

Just a thought... have no idea if it works since my DVD burner "did a crapper" on me and I had to reinstall the older (but still working) CD burner.

10. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL