Question about audition experiences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Hi all,

I have a somewhat last minute audition with a local recording studio to do some session work on a pop rock album they are producing. The gig could lead to more work down the road as their projects allow.

Having never been on an audition for this type of gig, I wondered what to expect. They left it pretty wide open for me to choose a couple pieces, one rock/jazz, and the other classical. I will prepare the best I can in the time I have. I was wondering if any of you players could share some insight. Have you ever auditioned for this type of work? What was involved in the audition beyond just playing your selection(s)?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My auditions on this kind of work have been sitting in with the band. They pick the tunes, keep their ears open and listen to how well I fit. And, frankly, personality can also be a factor.

Good luck, by the way.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Those things are usually by referral from someone they know and trust. Play what you know well.

4. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Hi! I would add play what you love and enjoy... Give your own ears the gift of the beauty of the trumpet sound, enjoy it and be happy .... So your audience will notice it. Let them know the sound that comes out from your trumpet bell was born deep inside your soul... That ALWAYS makes a difference! Best regards
    BernArt

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, I got the gig! Played a tiny bit of what I had prepped, and then sight read some rhythmic bits, ascending into the upper register with each repeat. I had to play with a click track, which is no problem. Positive attitude was a big factor as well, as Kehaulani pointed out above. Thanks!

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Congratulations, man!