Question about breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NotMyName, Jul 11, 2011.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Bud Herseth puts it this way. (From Tim Kent's notes).
    "When taking a breath, pronounce the word "ho" yet inhaling at the same time".
    "When using this method for practice, put hand on stomach and chest - it should move out on its own due to lungs filling up."
    "For getting a feeling of an absolutely open airway and flow, put one end of a(n) (empty) toilet paper roll in the mouth and inhale - note the equal easy inhaling and exhaling".

Here is a link to Mendez showing complete mastery of breathing. I don't believe even Mendez could do a two minute long tone without circular breathing.
    YouTube - ‪Rafael Mendez - Flight of the Bumble Bee & Mexican Hat Dance‬‏
    Rich T.

tobylou8 likes this.
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info. Now I don't feel too bad!:-)

3. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Check out "Trumpet Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing" by Claude Gordon. Forget publisher, but should still be in print. Great explanation of breath control for trumpet.

Personally, I fill my lungs and to the shoulders and use chest/shoulder breathe as much as possible. Or as my teacher at UC, Santa Barbara -Glenn Lutz, student of Claude Gordon, J. Stamp and others, says-hold your corners tight and blow.

4. NotMyName

NotMyName New Friend

Jul 7, 2011
    Sacramento
    Thanks for the replies, but I'm not having any trouble with my breathing (my band director has actually complimented me on it quite a few times), and I know, and practice, the whole no shoulders raised, stomach expands, deep breathing technique. Its just I've never been the kind of person that can just accept that something works without knowing the reason why it works. I wanted to know how breathing (in relation to trumpet playing) works and why a breath from so low works so well.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

He is a breathing master. His lessons on YouTube are good. I always notice about Mendez that his posture is very upright, but he doesn't look stressed. With that kind of ability he has for playing, what's to stress about???

I do think two minute long tones on the trumpet are not only possible but doable. What's needed is a set of big lungs and a very efficient trumpet. It doesn't have to be a LOUD tone, just a steady one ....... two minutes is definitely doable. Of what value that is, I'm not sure.

Turtle

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    First of all, "down near my abdomen" can be interpreted as just above the abdomen; and the muscle just above the abdomen (which is about as near as you can get) is the diaphragm. Now if you relax your abdomen you have more room for the diaphragm to expand, if you have more force below the diaphragm (someone of more portly design), you have more force against the abdomen and less ability to expand the chest compartment of the "torso". So you can breath from "so low" or expanding the inspiratory capacity of the lungs, by diminishing the resistance of the abdominal components of the torso.

So in answering your question, "Is in necessary" - no; But does it help in creating more reserve to enhance your ability to provide breath support, absolutely yes.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, if you are in good health and not overly obese, in a mirror you can see your abdomen (six pack) move outward naturally as you normally inhale your breath as is a consequence of the diaphragm expanding into the abdominal cavity just as others here have said. Too much emphasis on this has been the error of instrumental instructors who didn't know the human physiology.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess it is easier just to believe the myths. In these days of unlimited free research, there is no excuse for the BS often blown. Just a tiny bit of curiosity can make huge discoveries that prevent us from wasting time!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am way ahead of this ability as I excel over the 6-pack abdominal cavity. I have a kegger and as any frat brother knows, a kegger is way the heck better that a six pack!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such is all in the eyes of the beholder, but mostly its more in the mode of a relaxed position that allows the maximum blow on the horns.