Question about buying a trumpet for the first and the stamina it takes to play it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, May 12, 2012.

1. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have 2 question. One is I am looking into buying a trumpet to play for my personal pleasure but I am on a budget could you recommend a good one that I could get for a reasonable price a used one or maybe a new one. One store said I could buy one for $250. Tax but I am not sure if it includes the mouth piece.
    My second question is I am going to be 49 years old in 2 weeks and I have physical health issues that tire me out more then it did before I got a disease called CIDP in 2004. How much energy does it require to play a trumpet. The last time I played a Brass instrument was in High School for 4 years with a Baritone. It wasn't my choice but the Teacher but I would have preferred the Trumpet. I original started playing the clarinet but the teacher realized my 2 baby fingers were not fully developed and put me on the Baritone.
    I am also thinking of retired from my regular job if I can afford to live off the Ontario Government Disability Pension by Christmas. Staying home without anything to do will be boring. I have been thinking about buying a trumpet for years. Knowing I was accepted for the Governments Disability Pension makes me want to quit working because I don't have the strength physically and mentally to work anymore so I am looking to do something that would give me pleasure. I also like playing on a keyboard for fun. But I worry that playing the trumpet will tire me out that it won't give me pleasure.

Thanks for letting me become a new member of this forum

Sue

PS: I still have my metronome that I bought in High School

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sue,

You want a used Olds Ambassador off ebay. Great horns. They are at least equivalent to a step uphorn -some say a pro horn tho I don't want to get that arguement going here. Point is, it will do you fine for many years. There are even some pros that use them. You should be able to pick up a horn for under $200. Look at the pics on ebay and be sure the valves look good. By the way, the older the horn the better. Many say 50s are better than 60s. 60s better than 70s. Actually, all should be fine, but the 50s and 60s could be a little better- you can check the serial number of one you are thinking about buying against a serial number list for year made (just do a web search for Olds trumpet and serial numbers). Again, great horns -you will have the equivalent of a $1200 modern horn -and Ambassadors are make like tanks so you shouldn't have problems in the future with it.

Yes, trumpet playing is physical. The fact that you have played before should help. Give a trumpet to a football player and they will end up on the floor out of breath trying to blow it. An experienced player has much more efficiency. Just take your time and don't overdo and you will be fine.

You will get a lot of advice here-mostly good. You will likely get so much advice it will leave you overwhelmed at making a decision. Again, go with an ebay Ambassador by Olds and you will be fine. And, can sell it for the same if it doen't work out.

Best of luck,
    Steve

3. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks Steve Great Advice. I am not 18 years old anymore but I always enjoyed playing by ear on any instrument like a piano or keyboard It's like I almost remember how to play the scales on my Baritone by memory. I have been thinking about this for years and the man at the music store said I could get a new one for $250. + Tax. It brings me memories of the spit valve I call it.

Sue

4. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sue,

Do NOT buy a new horn for $250. It will be junk and unplayable in a month. THere are a bunch of imports you don't want to touch. I am a former band director. Every so often a child will show up with a shiny piece of garbage. They don't last a month. There are hundreds of folks here-many pro players who will agree the Ambassador is about the best horn you are going to find for under $200. And you save yourself $50 to use on music, a mouthpiece, or lessons. :)

5. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks Steve I found some on Ebay for real cheap. I tried to look up a serial number for the one that is on sale and I am not sure how to go about doing it. I did a search for an old Ambassador Trumpet 1950's with the serial number and nothing came up. So what should I put in the search engine to find what I want?

Thanks

Sue

6. SteveRicks

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Here you go.
    F. E. Olds & Sons Serial Number Listings

Also, you might email and ask these questions- I always ask these befor buying:

what is the serial number ( on second valve casing)?

Are there any pink spots on main pipe ( red rot-Olds are notorious for it)?

Please describe dents, dings etc.

Do the valve work and slides move?

Anything about horn that would keep it from playing properly?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    can't go wrong with an Olds Ambassador -- I also recommend KING 600 --- they can usually be found on Ebay for about a 100 bucks -- I bought 2 over the last 3 years, they both worked well. These are older horns, but many sound good, and are good players, and I must admit -- Made better than a lot of low price newer horns. IMHO.
    hey, I am 47, and sometimes I get out of breath-- some days are good --- BUT you are more likely to get frustrated from actually playing the notes, and getting the embouchure back in playing shape than in having breathing problems. I think the lady that sits next to me in the community band is pushing 80, and she keeps going ----- so even if I am having a bad playing day --- I show up!!!!!!!! I play, and then I am happy!!!!!!!

8. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the link. Ebay has the serial number to the ones I was looking for but not Kijiji. Could you explain more about the pink spots on main Pipe I never heard of that. Does it mean it is no good? I better do more research to know more about what I will be buying. I can't afford it this month but would love to have one by the summer.

Thanks Steve

Sue

9. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The embouchure part will be hard to get back into it. When many years back I went to the High school reunion and picked up the Baritone and the embouchure part I realized I had lost. But it will be fun to try again. I live in a house by myself so nobody to complain about the noise . :)

Sue

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice, 2 comments,

1/ there are members here that would help you find a good horn in your price range, Coolerdave is one.

2/ I am sorry to learn of your condition, do not let it put you off playing, I am 74 and only have about 50% of normal muscle function due to polio as a child, took up trumpet about 25 years ago and currently play in an amateur big band and have no problem in playing a 4 hour dinner dance. It only requires the proper aproach to the instrument.

Regards, Stuart.