Question about buying a trumpet for the first and the stamina it takes to play it

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by suewatters1, May 12, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you can find lots of tips about embouchure development on TM also -- but the big think (I think) is to start slow, don't overtask yourself the first few weeks, and slowly work yourself into a good practice regimen. and don't forget to play songs, and have fun, might even want to think about joining a community band in your area. play and be happy --- that is what I say.

2. suewatters1

suewatters1 Pianissimo User

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks Stuart for the great advice. I hate my job and wonder if I won't find my true calling once I am retired. Right now I am a production line worker. Been there 28 years as of this June.
    My Mom had an album when I was younger I always enjoyed and that was Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass band Whipped Cream and other delights.

Sue

3. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks You never know I might join a band someday. When I was in High School it was difficult for me to practice all the time at school during lunch time but I know why now in 2004 I was also diagnosed with ADHD and I have it pretty bad but I can use that to my advantage.

Sue

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Hey, I had that album too. My mom got it for me when I started playing. Racy album cover for a fourth grader. She found a play along book for it too. Wish I knew what happened to it, maybe I still have it.

Sue, dont go into it wondering if you can do it, you will surely fail. We all know you can do it and we want you to believe it too and then you will succede. You will get lots of horn advice here, but the one bit about not buying a new $250 trumpet is spot on. It will diasppoint you sooner rather than later. Keep us posted on your progress. Many here like to live lonely lives and get excited when others actually do something! Best wishes.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    ADHD too? Your being Canadian, your french is probably better than mine, so "pardon my french, but your a real mess girl!" Now I know I want you to play trumpet. Prove to all the rest of us that you can love something enough to put aside all the reasons why you shouldnt and do it anyway. BRAVO.

6. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't remember the album cover but racy? My Mom is so doesn't like anything that might seem racy. I don't have a record player but my Mom might still have the album.
    I have a lonely life too and I have mental health issues that put me down so I thought I want to pick myself up and play an instrument I always wanted to play.

Thanks Larry

Sue

7. suewatters1

May 11, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    My french is good but I don't use it enough I forget some words but my Boss is pure french from Quebec and I try to use my best french with him.
    So I want to do things that makes me happy. Quit working and play the trumpet. :)

Sue

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was trying to find a trumpet off of Craigslist in your area .. but it was tough. The problem with eBay is youcould get one with a problem and if you don't have a repair shop close by ....
    Definitely suggest finding someone who is credible to find you a horn used. We have alot of guys on the site . Chuck Cox is also one.
    Hope you enjoy the someback trail!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The sax player in my band has ADHD... one of THE MOST creative performers I have ever played with. Expiremental, impulsive bursts of energy... it is an advantage... just had to learn to put background licks in or sing near his ear when playing, just to let him know were the ensemble is on the chart.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ALSO the suggestions made by SteveRicks are so on target. You cannot go wrong with his advice, and I cannot post any better.