Question about C trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by brantleydavis, Oct 10, 2004.

1. brantleydavis

brantleydavis New Friend

Oct 10, 2004
    North Carolina
    I used to be a pretty decent player but became an in-demand Keyboardist and haven't played for a while. I want to start playing trumpet again and primarily plan to add brass parts or solos to Jazz/Pop recordings that I produce.

I think it might be easier for me to Solo (or just think) in the Key that I'm playing on keyboards. Especially if I'm playing out on Keys and want to solo on trumpet. As such I'm considering buying a C trumpet.

The question is: Is a C trumpet just like a Bflat trumpet that just plays one step higher? Or are there other characteristics that will be significantly different for a C trumpet than a Bflat. How about the 'feel' of the C trumpet compared to the same model in a Bflat version.

Any experience that could be shared here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    On the most basic level the C trumpet is a very different horn. The blow, sound, and intonation are normally different from that of the B flat and most people have to take some time to learn how to play C. The most common set up for C is a large bore Bach or Yamaha, but if you are looking for something closer to the sound/blow of a B flat you might want to look many different types of C’s.

3. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
    Just as stated above, the C trumpet is a different animal. But if that's all you ever play, it shouldn't take you too long to get accustom to the differences. Plus I'd also start working on your transposition if you want to play Bb parts or just switch back and forth. But I guess you'd just learn to transpose instead of buying a C then. :wink:

It feels a lot different at first from what I remember. But to me after playing C trumpet for six years, it feels about that same to me overall, just a little smaller. I've been playing it more than Bb for about 4 years now.

I hope this helps!

4. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    It seems to me that a C trumpet would give you a much different sound than is associated with jazz trumpet.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have used a C in a big band situation. I wonder if a player of the Music were really comfortable on C trumpet would there be a tonal difference?

Wilmer

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    This is interesting...I have always found C trumpet to be very similar to Bb. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Here's my thinking. C trumpets use similar bells to Bb's and the inherent brightness that happens when using a smaller/shorter instrument is off-set by the fact that most Bb trumpets are ML bore and C trumpets are usually L bore.

Using a C trumpet jazz would be very unconventional. Note the root of the word...convention. :-) I've never seen it done and I'm almost certain nobody notable has done it. I would say 70% of jazz playing is on Bb trumpet, 25% on flugel, and maybe 5%(or less) on cornet. I've heard James Morrison play jazz on piccolo but that's about it for big deviaitons(he sounded great though).

However, there's nothing to suggest you shouldn't. A well made C trumpet(like Bb) can sound bright or dark and blend in a variety of situations. You're not likely to "peel the paint" with a C but that's not always necessary either. If playing a C when you're doubling from piano might help you nail the changes better then that might be the best way to go.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Is there ANYTHING James Morrison cannot pick up and play and sound great? I doubt it. What a breadth of talent.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    i seem to remember wiseone2 saying he had played C with Duke Ellington, i was say that is pretty notable in my book.

9. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Indeed but I would be curious to know if he did it a couple times or on a regular basis. Anyway, I've never really be tempted to play C in jazz. I'd be curious to know the reason why that instrument was chosen. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he played C because he grabbed the wrong gig bag! :lol:

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Actually it was during a performance of "A Tonal Parallel To Harlem."
    The spot where the clarinet usually has the lead. The part I played had the cue and Duke waved Russell Percope out and cued me..........so I played my best "Red Allen" playing that tune on a C trumpet. Suave and swinging 8)
    Wilmer