Question about chest pain/tightness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ktrompetta, May 8, 2009.

1. Ktrompetta

Ktrompetta New Friend

Feb 23, 2009
    I have a high school student who frequently experiences pain in his upper chest while playing. He has described it as a tight feeling. I have worked with him using a breathing bag as well as on the horn to making sure that he is getting enough air in and is moving it out without holding it in. Overall he is a good player with a good tone although he doesn't practice regularly. As a student I never remember having chest tightness like he has described. Can anyone help me out? I do not want him to injure himself or be discouraged from practicing. Also, I dont believe that he is hyperventilating because he has never experienced any severe light headedness. It seems to happen with him when he is playing between G in the staff to A/Bflat above the staff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Does he have asthma?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    He needs to see a doctor.

Especially since he has told YOU about this.

4. Ktrompetta

Ktrompetta New Friend

Feb 23, 2009
    I dont believe that he has asthma. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely tell him to go to a doctor, and address this more seriously than I had been. I always figured it was something that would go away as he got more efficient with his playing, but now I am taking this very seriously.

5. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Also, have him check to see if he has a nickel allergy. if he is taking heavy breaths than he could be sucking a small amount of air back through the horn and if is Valves are nickel plated this could cause a problem.
    simple cratch test (Doctor will do it) will let him know. if so... he needs SS or monel pistons.

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Sounds fairly normal. Some guys, especially younger people (and this includes me) can force the chest muscles or sternum together in such a way that it causes pain and tightness after a while. I had this happen to me a few times. Part of the answer is learning to relax the muscles more and in place of the fullness of the lungs. I would try to make myself relax and think of breathing instead of tightening muscles. It sounds like he is forcing chest muscles instead of really using the air in his lungs. Relax. Breath..relax...breath. If he's like me, he's a fairly high strung individual. :) I Know the way this feels.

I used to make myself concentrate on relaxed, full breathing as I got older. I had to train my brain to realize that tightening my muscles wasn't the way to get more air in and out of my horn. I know this is somewhat of a vague answer, but perhaps it will help give some thought and direction on troubleshooting the problem. Whether, we're playing a wind instrument or shoveling snow, there is a better, more relaxed way to expend our energy. The result is that we don't hurt when we do it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Doctor, doctor, doctor.

It may not be significant as many players DO play with all sorts of body tension, but PAIN is serious. When the doc says everything is OK, I would suggest some Yoga. Here is a website that talks about body use applying to the trumpet:
    David G. Monette Corporation

Let us know what the doc says.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    So the kid has chest pains and you're looking for answers on a blog, right.
    Did you tell his parents via some proovable text in case the kid experiences a massive heart attack so your ass is both legally and morally covered?( I recommend email)
    Let his parents know because "Oops is too late" .......Get it?

9. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I am not a doctor, but I know enough about doctors to avoid them as much as possible. A high school kid getting chest pains playing the trumpet is not even close to a typical symptom of heart disease. Chest pain in young people is a whole different ball game but that's besides the point. Sure, it would be prudent to ask the student if he's talked to a doctor and made sure he does not have a medical condition, and I assume he has. But this is a trumpet blog, not a medical blog. We're offering opinions here, folks, and I'm simply relating my own personal experience about the chest pains I had when playing the horn when I was in highschool. 30 years later and still no heart attack (knock on wood) ::D

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rbdeli,
    You're not a physician but you're sure this isn't heart disease, right?
    Let me nip this in the bud.