Question about chest pain/tightness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ktrompetta, May 8, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    No, I am not 100% certain it's not heart disease and neither would a doctor be certain without putting the kid through thousands of dollars worth of tests, which at that age, more than likely would be foregone.

I believe I said it would be prudent to ask the kid if he's talked to his doctor about this. If that's not enough to appease some of the medical anxieties, sorry, it's the best I'll do. This board is for trumpet talk, and just because some of us would rather focus on the trumpet playing aspect of this discussion, doesn't mean we don't care about the kids health.

The trumpet is a physical instrument and playing it wrong CAN cause stress and pain. That was the focus of my response to this thread precisely because I am NOT a doctor.

2. Ktrompetta

Ktrompetta New Friend

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am not worried about lawsuits. I find that comment to be a bit absurd, we're talking about an incredibly healthy 16 year old. I will recommend that he gets it checked out by a physician. Mostly I believe that he is using too much tension on his exhale and not relaxing, its just been hard for me to get him to relax when he plays. Thanks for the relax and breathe advice, I will try and integrate that into his practice. Also perhaps if he eases back a bit on the volume that could help as well. Keep the comments coming, I have only been teaching a few years and any advice is appreciated.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhh, not discounting the importance of involving the medical community, but is this kid "buff?" Does he work out doing bench presses and push-ups and the like? The art of trumpet playing involves tension in the right places and relaxation in the others. It could be that in playing he is involving a bunch of muscles that need not be activated.

If so, one exercise would be to play long tones "totally relaxed," accepting the bad sound: just a few minutes of playing "weak" should let the student get used to this feeling. The goal then is to make it sound better, keeping note of exactly which muscles are involved. This can turn into a twenty minute or so kind of thing, in effect awakening the muscles that we need and letting the others sleep.

There may or not be an "aha" moment. When rock climbing in my twenties I noticed differing styles of climbers--those who muscled their way up the rock, and those who danced up the face (I was of a third style, getting pulled up the rock).

Trumpet playing is more a dance than a drill.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    With the news headlines of young people around the world suffering heart attacks, why would anyone hesitate to contact a doctor?

I agree with those who gave the best advice in this thread: Get a medical opinion first and that usuallly means taking the young person to a doctor. It is the most safe and most prudent course of action.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I agree that any obvious or serious medical conditions should be ruled out by a doctor. I just think people get a little too wound up about these things. The odds of this being any kind of serious medical condition are less than 1 in 100, so why get people in a panic? I would guess he's already a bit concerned. I would rather be reassuring than cause panic.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The one common thread here from the sensible oldies is: if you are aware of any health issue, then be sure due diligence is done. Parents notified first, and doctor's clearance next. THEN get back to the business of playing and enjoying the music. We are musos not ambos.

This is just common sense.

Once the notes are done (Mum & Doc), then let the music notes flow, and let us know how it goes.
    Cheers

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Thanks, Peter. Good, reasonable addition.