Question about Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cody,

this is simply wrong. There is no math or physics that back this up - only imaginations of people that aren't willing to invest in the truth. Use the example of a guitar string, the length is fixed regardless of what note that you play. It is almost the same with a trumpet. No notes buried in the bell. A standing wave in the horn and a "leaky" design to get sound into the room. Microwave ovens and lasers work the same way!

If you even google resonance, you will discover things that make what you typed twice sound ridiculous......

Double C is not rare, especially in the minds of internet explorers.

codyb226 likes this.
  2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Lots of guys are enamored by range, as if it is the end all and be all of trumpet playing. So, they take the very highest note they can possibly play on their best day and say they can play a whatever. I can still get a double C occasionally, by accident, when the moon is right and Jupiter is aligned with Mars. But your upper range, my friend, is defined by the note you know you can nail, at the end of the last piece of the last set of the night. If you've got the "G" then, you'll probably never really need anything higher.

3. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I feel like I'm at an AA meeting here but I will join in... My name is Scott and I can't hit the dubba C.

One day I might start trying to again but for now I'm gonna stick with stuff in the mid range to make sure my poor little brain doesn't pop out where I had my brain surgery a few years ago. lol

tobylou8 and Solar Bell like this.
  4. LiquidSean

LiquidSean Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2010
    Virginia
    DING DING DING

I'm with you there.

5. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    I can play the double C, but it didn't come after thinking about it. It comes after years of effective practice (but not lots of "range building"). There is very little use in the double C or anything higher. i am much more impressed when i see a young player that can play solid perfect notes 100% of the time, than one pushing the trumpet through their face to try and impress with high notes.

Solar Bell likes this.
  6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Granted the whole range ain't the most important yada-yada. What range do you expect for an intermediate player? Say a solid student playing for 1-2 years? I ask because my son is always wanting to know in terms of range what will make him ahead of the curve. He's been playing since October, sight reads well, can pretty much nail his Rubank exercises, has a lovely tone and oh yeah, his range is at the A above the staff pretty consistently, a little more some days. He's going to the Mizzou band camp this summer and is wondering if that will put him in the pack of serious players his age. He'll be going into 7th grade next year.

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Range is nice but I would prefer to have the ability to play multiple measures in one breath without feeling dizzy.

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I work on and off with middle school brass students and I would certainly classify him as part of the serious pack. Rarely do I encounter trumpet players of that age (6th graders) who really own anything above the staff ("own" meaning they can place notes in that range in a very intentional and musical manner). The biggest gaps I see in players at that age are tone and articulation (pinched/spitty/thin tone and sloppy articulation).

9. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Never played a double C in my life. I was a good enough player to get a music ed degree from a college with a good music department without ever playing that note. Will I ever hit a double C?? Maybe. If it happens, great!! If it doesn't, I'm still gong to play my horn. As one or two other posters have mentioned, some players get too hung up on high notes.

Solar Bell likes this.
  10. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    A young student at a middle school where the quintet was playing asked me if I had a high g. I answered "Yes, because I need one." High Bach & Handel parts, etc require that kind of range. Also, much of the solo & concerto repertory require an excellent high register. I have often found that unless I was able play those notes on the Bb, they wouldn't be reliable on the picc. Extreme range practicing is a quick way to a stiff lip, so play up there sparingly and develop a solid note first. I suggest Colin "Flexibility Studies" and Claude Gordon exercises. Follow they're directions on range and you will get a good rang comfortably. Mel Broiles has a Great Piccolo method that used to be available from PP press. Check that out.

Now I'll get on my soapbox about young students trying to force high register for football and concert band. Most high school students should approach range w/ caution, but band directors and contest compositions force young players to go there too quick. A bit of caution on that front.