Question about Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Apr 19, 2012.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    And change the underpants after.

Regards, Stuart.

coolerdave likes this.
  2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If there is no T-shirt, there is no proof.....

3. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.

[​IMG]

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Or, another fav..........

[​IMG]

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I saw the "Airmen of Note" last week, during the whole performance, the lead only played 2 DHC's. They were perfect! There were also a couple B's, Bb's, and A's. MOST of the time, they never got above a high G (and all these guys could scream). Point is, they played everything musically (even they high stuff). Testosterone was absent but musicianship was present and accounted for.

6. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    It has always been my experence that testosterone is absent when it comes to airmen.

[running away]

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my name is ken -- I played an F scale to the high F last night --- it sounded great --- so I quit my practice and went to sleep. I did not try any notes higher than the F (ok, maybe a G, but it was thin and sharp) ---- but I did not try to hit a dubba C. I am doing well, but it is a one day at a time struggle!!!!! today, I will try NOT to hit a dubba C ---- thanks for your support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Beep... Beep..beep..beep. BEEEEEEEEEEEP! "I have good tone, I'm taking the shot"! - Airman Pete "Maverick" Mitchell :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,

while it is true that the acoustic length of the horn changes with frequency, the length works the other way around. This is very easy to measure as the directivity of the higher frequencies happens to correspond with the flare of the bell and decreases the higher that you go. Most all horns work this way.

Loudspeaker Directivity and Vehicle Siren Sound Levels
    http://www2.jblpro.com/pub/components/2380a.pdf
    http://altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/horns/MR64B HF Horn.pdf

If you spend some time researching horn theory, you discover the highest resistance where the efficiency is greatest. That has NOTHING to do with the blow. Expelling air is low frequency - like direct current and is unaffected by the standing wave in the horn. Resistance goes up with frequency because the lips are opening and closing at a faster rate and have less "leakage". In addition, most players use more pressure up high which clamps the lips shut. This has all been explained so many times I am surprised that the myths keep coming back. When things that don't line up with physics are claimed, I really question how much research went into the oiriginal assumption.

My problem with some of the younger members is their need to post like they know what they are talking about. I really respect people willing to ask intelligent questions. Those people are valuable because BS is hard to defend. On the other hand, the idiocy of trying to "belong" by playing expert accomplishes just the opposite. Once you teach and perform for a bunch of years, telling the difference is easy. The young ones don't have ANY of the survival techniques and post like indestructability exists.