Question about Double C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bach37, Apr 19, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM is likely to tell you that the movie "TOP GUN" is fictional --- (that means NOT REAL) ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I saw it in a theater so it has to be real!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, I actually read this whole thread. I can't really play a double anything and I don't lose any sleep over it. There are two trumpet worlds - the cyber trumpet world where everyone can play like Maynard or Arturo, and the real trumpet world where only people you've heard of can play that way. That's why you've heard of them. The rest of us will have to be content with playing musically with the notes we have. I've played with a few guys who could soar into that range, but there are thousands more for every one of those, many who are fine trumpet players with countless years of formal training and advanced degrees, who can't.

patkins likes this.
  4. sirspinbad

sirspinbad Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2011
    I thought this might be interesting to the thread...

I've played trombone as a double for a good long time...though I am pretty good,I don't practice the horn and feel my limits. I recently had the opportunity to by an amazing Custom horn from Andy Taylor. I bought it even though it is Large Bore,because I knew it was an amazing instrument(and the price was right ;) I feel so good with this horn,and am able to do many of the things that were stiff before. I've realized that the goal of constantly increasing my range(which is the topic at hand,isn't it?) is not important anymore and have found much more value for the instrument to me.

further insight....

so now i need large shank mouthpieces...i was at the store today in the tryout room and a young player (around 20) came in to try out a horn,or mouthpiece as well... now we can all be pretty much certain he was not,or had not warmed up,or even had played that day.... the first thing he did was attempt to play the most rediculously high notes imaginable..... it was very depressing....I mean there is NOTHING that this kid is going to do after that to redeem himself to me......not that he has to impress me...or was he trying to?? the fact is I believe most people practice in order to impress themselves...If your middle register doesnt quite sound right,bang out some high notes to convince yourself you've got chops.... and I hear people on ALL levels do it!!!

so my 2 cents...work on what you don't do well...and be realistic and honest...then you'll really see results....... the first step to playing double high C is being honest about how good your high F is...and I'm talking about the top line of the staff!!!!!!

patkins and Mark_Kindy like this.
  5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, my opinion--
    There are probably a few guys that can get it out, on this forum. I doubt many, if any, own it. I myself fit neatly into neither of those categories...not losing sleep over it. I'm working on lows, highs, middle...
    If you don't play the range you have beautifully, then I don't see much point in even thinking too much about the high range. I know until I get my stuff together completely in my usable range, that high stuff probably won't come out anyways, and if it does, then I'm not ever sure it'll sound great.

I do my best to approach my range with quality over quantity -- if it doesn't sound good, I'm not really all that psyched to move any higher than the notes that do, until I improve. If I never hit a double C, but I have a solid, gorgeous high G? I'm down with that.

6. sirspinbad

sirspinbad Pianissimo User

Dec 11, 2011
    my best students are good working players... play in salsa bands..can play Earth Wind and Fire... decent chops.... after hearing me,they say "I want to play like that".

the first step is going back a few steps(let's say a LOT of steps)....and very few are actually willing to do that once they've already gotten so far........... only those that are completely honest about their expectations,and achieving them

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Wow, I read all the post. great entertainment. Another quest for the DHC> Well there is just so much more to playing music than that. But go ahead amuse your selves. And the bit about "sweetspots" in the bell. Really and this helps us how? It's great to study the acoustics of the horn. It won't help you play any better, but it's nice if you are interested in such things. And I am. But sweet spots in the bell. Where are the myth busters when we need them. At least Rowuk tries to keep it honest.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I play, the sweet spot is behind the mouthpiece........................... ;-)

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's easier to slur up from the high G in order to get the DHC -- IMHO -- though that doesn't mean one owns it, or can play it on a regular, or even a pre-planned basis. ROFL ROFL ROFL but if you look at it another way --- you are only 3 notes away!!!!!!!! a sweet G, then push some air, squeeze those abs --- and it's really there for yah -- a DHC ---- didn't say it would sound good --- just said it was "in reach" for bragging rights or to amuse oneself!!!!!!!!!!!

codyb226 likes this.