question about gillespie's style

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 21, 2009.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I mentioned him as something completely opposite. Sometimes (in tokyo in particular) he looked like his cheeks are pulled inside or something I cant really explain as I'm struggleing with english language. But he looked wired in a opposite way to Gillespie who also looked wired.

Besides IMO I thing Dizzie Gillespie is wastly overrated player. Too much hype. And all that mystique about that twisted trumpet. Some people actulaay beleive that that trumpet is producing different sound because it is bent. And that is just stupid thinking.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Dizzy overrated?
    John Birks Gillespie was a player with amazing power. Dizzy was a creator, he is the reason jazz sounds the way it does today. Listen to the music Diz and Bird made in the 40s. Diz had amazing big bands, but most amazing was Dizzy's trumpet playing. No one was even close in those days.
    Wilmer

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Dizzy overrated!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Are you crazy? Not only was he one of the most amazing trumpet players to ever walk the planet, he invented and was one of the most consistent and effective evangelists for a whole new style of music. Just TRY to play some of his solos, then tell me he's overrated!

bigtiny

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    overrated? I agree with the others. Without him jazz would not be what it is today. Diz' was a creator. Regardless how you feel about his trumpet playing, it was his musical ideas and amalgamation of Cuban, African and other forms of jazz and different styles.

When you look back at all the different players who have played with him over the years (especially in his United Nations Orchestra) take a good look at some of those players. (Arturo, Slide Hampton, Paquito, James Moody, just to name a few). They certainly didn't think he was overrated. So who are you to think this?

Have you ever heard all the different takes on the the tune "A Night in Tunisia"? Almost everyone has done it. I'd say not enough people know about him.

(The twisted horn was an accident, and from what I've heard, he had quite the personality and thought it would be funny to keep playing on it. It was just part of his stage persona)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  5. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    People should listen to Diz in his early years what power.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

The bent horn WAS an accident. The reason he kept playing them, was that he could hear himself better, and he like the sound.

bigtiny

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    All of the above. Diz was a genuis. he gave us music that still lives fresh today. He create a new style of jazz (Be Bop) and added latin influnces to jazz. he streched and added to our understanding of the melodic and harmonic structure of music. Plus he was a really nice person. I was fortunate to be able to go to a master class he gave in the late 1980s. I still remember his warmth and devotion to music. Did I fail to mention, a monster on the trumpet.

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    yes it was an accident, when drunk dizzy sat on it during some wild party. Than he accused airport staff for bending his trumpet in transportation. And he kept it because bent trumpet was catching the imagination of the crowds, it was marketing move. Stating bent trumpet made different sound is complete ignorance. The sound was just the same.

Besides it was chano pozo, juan tizol and walter fuller and later arturo sandoval that made musical magic. Dizzy was an entertainer and a great band manager, but musical souls were those mentioned before

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    oh, ad someone asked if I can play like dizzy, well actually dizzy atmosphere is part of my warm up exercise as well as night in tunisia.

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    This is an unbelievable post! Your history is all wrong.
    None of the names you mention have anything to do with the birth of bop. Sandoval was not even born. Check out the happenings at Minton's and on 52th Street.
    Wow.
    Wilmer