Question about lip trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Sep 4, 2010.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    I can do shakes using my hand, if I'm feeling good they sound pretty good all the way up to an A, sometimes a B. But I know the way I'm doing these is not good, it beats my lips up when I'm moving the mouthpiece against my lips back and forth to make this happen. So I've been working on lip trills, not only will doing them this way not be so hard on my lips but I also like that New Orleans style sound of doing them this way. I used to not be able to do them at all, now when I'm fresh, I can make from an E to a G sound pretty darn good. Problem is, this only happens when I'm fresh. If I were to try and do one like this way halfway into a set, there's no way. Is there anything that I can work on to target this issue or is it pretty much just an overall strength and endurance issue? Thanks!

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In the Arban's book go to page 42 and start woth #16. Use a metronome and follow the tempo markings. Use good air support. These will develop yout lip trills. Don't be impatent. Do one exercise a day. Don't move to the next exercise until the one you're on feels easy.

3. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Dang, that really gets the corners burning. I did 16 and 17 and they were both about the same level of difficulty in terms of how much it tired me out getting through them. How many times should I practice this exercise each day for best results?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry if I sound like Yoda, but OCD's count, trumpeters do. Plug away, and wait for the miracle to happen.

It will.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Do one exercise once a day. You'll actually show improvement faster than if you over do it.