Question About Low Brass Priceing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I am researching Tuba's,Baritones and Eup[honiums on the side as I would like to have one of each at some point. Why is it that Baritones and Euphoniums sell for say MSRP $1100-$1800 but Tuba's are way up in the $3000-$4000 range typicaly? It does not seem like the amount of brass alone should make that big of a difference in priceing? IS it a matter of how many they sell? Specificly the prices above where from a Jupiter Brass Wind Catalog but they are typical of what I normaly see else where? I am not complaining or anything like that since if I really want one I will just do a purchase plan etc.... It is just a question I had is all?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It takes bigger tooling, less common skills, larger valve bodies with precision found in smaller ones, as well as brass alloys designed for lightness AND strength. Larger tubing requires more expensive extruders or higher cost purchased from a pre-manufacture extruder.
    Demand is probably a factor too.

Why are you interested in having them? What about t'bones or French horns?
    veery

3. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well I would like to get a French Horn at some point becasue it is the only common brass wind that I never played at all even in school. I actualy started off playing trumpet but played Baritone and Tuba as well. So I would like to have one of each. I have played trombone's and Euphoniums and Mellophone a few times but not in concert or anything like that just goofing around with the guy's. I never had slide envy. If I was going to get a trombone it would be a valve trombone but if I went that route I could also just get a Bass Trumpet.

Between the two Tuba and Baritone the transition was easiest to go between the trumpet and Baritone it was almost a no brainer no matter if the music was in Base Clef or Treble clef...The Tuba took a bit more focus to transition between it and the trumpet as I had to really focus on relaxing my chop's. WHile the tuba is easy to make noise on it is fairly diffacult to play it well and with personality and proper phraseing. It is not becasue of the lack of effeicency or anything like that rather your chop's have to stay really relaxed almost on the verge of loseing the buzz but at the same time you have to have control. I found it to be quite a challenge when I first started on Tuba. THe baritone on the other hand was almost zero learning curve really.

So I heard some Jazz Tuba work on the internet and since I used to play the tuba I thought it would be cool to give it a shot. The french Horn on the other hand is more just out of curiosity since I never played one. It strange too because my neighbor played French Horn and was in band with me. Her Dad though was so strict that in the summer time when all the other kids would come over to my place to jam and goof us like us band geeks do she was never allowed to hang out with us.My house was the band geek get away dureing the summer. My Mom did not mind and my Dad was always at work and back then I had a huge back yard.