question about manny in college

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

Ok: I read the post where you answered how you practice now as a professional but I'm curious as to what you did as a college student; which would make a lot more sense to many of us involved in reading this forum. I understand that all of us would have different strength's and weaknesses but what did you do in college to get to where you are at today?Maybe about how you used to warm up, what your weaknesses were and how you fixed them, and maybe even whether or not you got frustrated enough at your playing to question whether or not you'd be good enough to compete at the professional level. I would LOVE to hear this side of the story from you in order to be an encouragement to all of us...

Thanks a lot!

Jeremy Tarter

2. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    One more question to add to that post:

would it be a smart decision or not to purchase a monette horn as a college student or would you wait until an actual career started??

JT

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'm not Manny, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that if you've got the cash, and you like one - go for it. However, for the amount of money Monettes cost, a student could probably collect several other instruments - Eb and picc for instance, and college is the place to learn these things I think.

But if you've got enough cash to do both, great :-)

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA

Wow, Jeremy...

Okay, first things first: As a college student I didn't have some of the issues that people often have. I had a very good high register, excellent endurance, and a good innate musical sense. So, what did I work on? Transposition, rhythm, and correct phrasing were my issues that I tended to every day until I could subdivide my butt off, transpose at sight and phrase in an intelligent manner without sounding like an undisciplined egomaniac. My books were:

Arban's trumpet method and bass clef books
    St. Jacome's method
    Sachse 100 studies in transposition
    Peretti studies
    Cafarelli transposition studies
    Vasilly Brandt
    Charlier
    Bitsch
    Smith Top Tones

There may have been others but they escape me for now. I was a moderate practicer not a complete fiend. I was busy doing a lot of jobbing around town and my rehearsals at Juilliard kept me busy.

As or a college student playing Monettes, that's a tough one. I would only advise that to people who have their physical act together or are very open to changing any bad habits. If one's attitude is "I've been playing this way for umpteen years and it's good enough" then, fine, stick to what you know. If you're able to respond to change pretty easily or have the sense that you're hitting a stumbling block and you need another way, then go for it.

You have to have a pretty tough skin to deal with the people that are going to look at you cross-eyed and say "Oh, G-d, here comes one of those [email protected] things" or my personal favorite, "You aren't really going to play that, are you?".

It can be a vicious circle, too. If you have been accustomed to doing the physical manipulation then when you play the Monette it'll sound like crap. But if you play with good body use then regular horns can play out of tune and require false fingerings and such. That's why some folks prefer their Monette horns after they've gotten dented up, no lie. They don't perform the way they're supposed to and require more physical manipulation to play. Then the player feels more at home!

So, I think it can be a great thing if a player is able to adapt progressively over a relatively short period of time. But if a player doesn't have the sense of being able to make the body adjustments necessary it's too often a negative experience.

One of the most phenomenal things I ever saw was Maurice Andre play testing one of Dave's horns. It was on stage at orchestra hall and I saw him really try to find the "edge" in the sound but couldn't. That impressed him very much. Now, that was on stage at Orchestra Hall, not in a stuffy 10 by 8 practice room. Maybe he wouldn't have liked it as much.

I have to tell you this story I've never told anyone:

One time when Maurice came here he wanted to go visit a brass repairman who was able to produce a certain type of "Frankenhorn" that a lot of people around were really into. I was not. I took Maurice over to the guy and he played the horns and eventually asked what the price was.

At that time it was $800. When I told Maurice, he told me (In French) to tell him that in Paris he could buy two horns of comparable quality for that money. I was a bit embarrassed but I did as Maurice asked. The repairman said "I understand but that's the price" and was pretty much the end of the visit.

Two years later Maurice came to visit and by that time Dave had started making horns. Dave came out for a visit to have Maurice play a Monette C trumpet. Once again, the time came for Maurice to inquire about price and I told him $1500 and once again, I awaited the same reaction as before.

He wrote a check out on the spot.

G-d as my witness, that's a true story to the best of my recollection and without exaggeration. This was after hearing him play Tomasi, Mahler 5, and various other C trumpet pieces. His Mahler 5 was particularly fantastic, by the way. He kept trying to rip the horn a new one and was impressed at how well the sound held together.

So, there you go.

ML

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The institution Manny attended is not your ordinary college. Juilliard is one of the finest in the world at what they do....turning of some of finest instrumentalists on the international music scene.Manny, Phil Smith, Ray Mase, Dave Krauss and Dave Bilger, Mark Gould, Wynton,Ed Carroll, Gerry Schwarz are products of the school.
    And that's just the trumpets.
    The strings and woodwinds are of equal quality. The Juilliard Orchestra can sound like a major orchestra. This is an extraordinary place.
    Wilmer

6. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    how the hell did miles get in?

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dave,

By auditioning and showing extraordinary talent if not the world's most perfect classical tone, I reckon. What conservatories look for is great potential not perfection.

Well, at least they used to.

ML

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was under the impression that Miles "flunked out" of Julliard.

Manny, was there ever a time when you did have some real chops issues, or was your initial physical approach to playing the horn correct to the point where everything eventually self corrected and you didn't have to take any major steps toward change?

I grew up in a small town in Nebraska. I had 5 band directors in 4 years and although I was always either among the best or at the top of the heap, I did have some bad habits in my playing. These were the kinds of problems where if I had had a dedicated teacher, I might have gotten straightened out before these bad habits became too ingrained. Unfortunately, none of my band directors in that time were too interested in working the bugs out of one of their trumpet players, especially when I needed less help than the rest. They were either too busy trying to hold on to their jobs, or looking for a way to escape! :)

Anyway, Manny, I'm just curious to know if you ever had any bad habits that you had to break - what were they and what steps did you take to overcome them?

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Patrick,

You have asked a fabulous question and I will answer it in a whole new thread. I have a day off today, folks, if you ever had questions to ask me this is the day as I think I'm going to be spending it listening to the radio, writing to y'all, and oh, yeah, practicing. Whew, almost got caught revealing my sloth!

ML